• 2 weeks later...

Small boat owner and was wondering how far out do you have to go. Have Dipsy's and downrigger's for the Finger Lakes fishing and wanted to give the big lake a try on a south wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

100' of water is about 2 miles out. I don't think you need to go that deep right now though. I fished out there in a 16' boat for 25 years. Just play the wind.

Edited by reeleyz

Small boat owner and was wondering how far out do you have to go. Have Dipsy's and downrigger's for the Finger Lakes fishing and wanted to give the big lake a try on a south wind.

I have a 16 footer CC. I am almost always the smallest boat out there.  I watch the wave reports (weatherunderground.com) and if it's 2 foot or less your are fine to go out.  I was out in 3 footers 2 weeks ago,  its a little uncomfortable but still safe enough.   You have to know your boats limitations and watch for changing conditions.

Thank you for all the input. I do understand what you're saying. This past weekend I got caught on Cayuga Lake with some strong Northwinds that quickly changed into some very large waves. Made it back to the marina OK but it was not a very comfortable ride. I guess it's like anything I'm just going to have to put in my time on the big lake. Thanks again.

I use my 18' Lund Alaskan and usually look for <1 footers. The boat handles 3' or more but it's not comfortable and one footers can quickly turn into 3 footers. I really don't feel had I handicapped when out among the big boats.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I have a 19 footer and I'm with you can handle 3 footers but it is not fun what so ever and keeping down speed is hard....

Was out this morning. Fished 7-noon. Got excited when the dipsy took a shot before I had all the lines set. Boated a nice 12lb coho. wire was 210 105fow green dot board with green glow fly. Proceeded to work 80-120fow east of port. Had everything out jplugs, meat, flys. Took one more shot on 300 copper wonder bread sd. Beautiful day to be out but with the lack of boats out (5 that I seen) on such a nice day told me everything I needed to know. Tight linespost-142983-0-31379300-1474585357_thumb.jpeg