Upgrade Hooks on Trolling Spoons?

Mike M

We lost to many steelys today. We've never gotton into replaceing stock hooks on my trolling spoons. If I wanted upgrade hooks what wouid you guys reccomend?? Ive got quite a collection of NKs,Stingers,Stingrays,DWs and Fishlanders. I know I should be hitting these hooks with a sharping file or stone too. Advice please. 

Go on Bill Saiff web site he explains how to tie a fly "salmon" those hooks he uses are for deep sea but are becoming more popular in the salmon world. I never in my life had such sharp hooks you can't even get one separated from the others with out bleeding. Minion gave me some flys to tie and I used the hooks that the Saiff crew uses both in single hook and welded triple hooks on all 3 sides. But there other hooks out there that will do the same job, should look for needle sharp point and a hardened steel hook, every fish this time of the year gets like a harder jaw bone, like Les mentioned above a single hook is a better deal in more than one way, first only has to poke 1 hole and much easier for a release, best of luck!! The price of fish just went up again!!! LOL

If you're losing steelhead its probably not the hooks but how you are playing them. If you fight a steelhead like you (should) fight a king you will lose that steelhead 90%of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

So how should you fight a steelhead?

Thanks,

Concerned angler Chris

I am no expert by any means but did take a charter once and the captain explained what do do if we hooked into a steelhead. Light drag, keep rod tip high and do not pull back on the rod

I think Paul was referring to the softer more fragile mouth of the steelhead or rainbows and as ADK mentioned. You can't (or shouldn't) "horse" them.

Edited by Sk8man

I am no expert by any means but did take a charter once and the captain explained what do do if we hooked into a steelhead. Light drag, keep rod tip high and do not pull back on the rod

Exactly. Most steelhead are just barely hooked anyway. Any added pressure whatsoever will often pull the hooks. Sure, there are exceptions but it usually involves a steelhead hitting a flasher and fly rig.

Softer and gentler is better with steelhead.

Edited by Paul Czarnecki

Its been suggested that I should try VMC  sparkpoint 4X strong treble in size 2 for my stingers and size 1 for my stingray spoons. I looked at some-wow! they are sharp!! Made from vanadium steel and chemically sharpened. Almost never need to sharpen so I'm told. Any opinions?? Any other hooks you guys reccomend???

Its been suggested that I should try VMC  sparkpoint 4X strong treble in size 2 for my stingers and size 1 for my stingray spoons. I looked at some-wow! they are sharp!! Made from vanadium steel and chemically sharpened. Almost never need to sharpen so I'm told. Any opinions?? Any other hooks you guys reccomend???

Yes damn near the best $$$can buy

Inland lake steelhead??

Ok, technically they are rainbow trout since they never leave the lake. All the locals still refer to them as steelhead.

Mullet Lake in Michigan.

Edited by LakerTaker

I would agree with Paul too and another thing that may be another possibility is release tension ? And I personally like the vmc 9650 and if you want a stronger hook the 9655 and the price is nice.

And yes sk8man the Mustad hooks are deadly ...I have been playing around with them this year and very impressed not just on spoons 1763046e388100e6ea9c8e7d13d3412a.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would agree with Paul too and another thing that may be another possibility is release tension ? And I personally like the vmc 9650 and if you want a stronger hook the 9655 and the price is nice.

And yes sk8man the Mustad hooks are deadly ...I have been playing around with them this year and very impressed not just on spoons 1763046e388100e6ea9c8e7d13d3412a.jpg

Minion,

why not snell that lower hook like the upper one?  

The eye is not offset like a octopus hook and has a larger gap between the eye and shank that could cut into your line.... that and even on trebles I just do a clinch or a polamar knot ...hook hangs straight and less of a chance to get the pliers on the knot when removing a hook from deep in a fish mouth like on a snell