Moor Sub Troll Problems

Installed unit new this year and having erratic readings.Unit works fine then both readings drop out,have installed new 9 volts,re-terminated cable end, cut off some bare wire,still having same issues,Also seems like when raising rigger unit will work for a short time then nothing.Any thoughts?Thanks

Check the RCA connector between the antenna and the cable that goes to the display. The RCA connectors that come with the unit tend to rust pretty easy and you will loose a lot of your signal with rusty connections. I replaced the cable on mine with one that has nice gold plated connectors and I also cut off and replaced the one on the antenna side as well. 

Splash some water onto the antenna once in awhile, too. When you lose signal, do you also lose the decimal point dot? It could be a power issue, particularly since you mention raising the downrigger, which would increase load on the battery. Worth ruling out.

Also, do you use Moor's terminator? It works much better than a standard Cannon one for signal retention deep,

Three most likely scenarios.  The antenna sender is shot.  There is a section of coating coming off your cable so you are losing the signal to the water or the RCA cable needs to be replaced.  Moor subtroll parts can still be bought online.  Step 1..... on land, walk off 100' of cable and check it for visual signs of losing the coating.  Step 2, if the cable is fine, replace the RCA cable with new.  These you can get original replacement parts from Moor servicing or you can get them at Radio Shack cheaper.  If those two things don't fix problem, assume it is the sending antenna.  You can check the antenna wire for continuance yourself if you have a meter.  The antenna you will have to order from the Moor replacement service company.

esgdirect.com is the site

Check the RCA connector between the antenna and the cable that goes to the display. The RCA connectors that come with the unit tend to rust pretty easy and you will loose a lot of your signal with rusty connections. I replaced the cable on mine with one that has nice gold plated connectors and I also cut off and replaced the one on the antenna side as well. 

I did this as well, had some really nice cables in the basement from my car audio days 20 years ago, now have a solid connection, the factory cables are junk. Mine has worked flawless down to 110 without issue even with some bad spots in my cable.