Downrigger rod setup

Some additional information might get you more responses :) For example what type of fishing and where. It makes a difference if you will be fishing in king territory for instance. 

Are you going to use the rods and reels exclusively for downriggers? If so then a line counter may be unnecesary. Again, the specific line used  and leader depends on where you fish and what you are targeting as well as what types of things you intend to run.

Edited by Sk8man

Only been at this 2 years now but:

8'-9' range is what I like

med to med heavy depending on the rod.  Ugly stiks tend to run a little stiff I think.  

30 lb big game line. 

30 size reel.  

Yes line counters.

No leader for salmon.

Yes fluoro leader for trout.  

Some additional information might get you more responses :) For example what type of fishing and where. It makes a difference if you will be fishing in king territory for instance. 

Are you going to use the rods and reels exclusively for downriggers? If so then a line counter may be unnecesary. Again, the specific line used  and leader depends on where you fish and what you are targeting as well as what types of things you intend to run.

Thanks for the reply.  That's the tough part.  I think these will be exclusively downrigger rods, but I would like to use the same basic setup for Lake Erie walleye, Finger Lakes trout, and Lake Ontario salmon/trout.  So yes Kings are in the mix.  Is the same basic setup possible with changes to leaders, etc?  That's what I've been doing with my dipsy setups.

Edited by LakerTracker

• 2 weeks later...

Down riggers don't really require any special rod or reel. Obviously you need a reel that will hold a fair amount of line but after that any thing will work. When I first started fishing I used open faced reel on my down riggers because that is what I had. They weren't perfect but they worked. Anyway a level wind reel with a 8 to 9 ft medium heavy rod is your best bet. Line counter reels don't really give you any advantage over a reel with out a line counter. You should always have more line out of the reel than what the downrigger cable shows. A rod with a long handle is best so your reel doesn't sit or bottom out on the rod holder. So I guess to answer your question yes if you plan to fish for kings you should buy a heavier duty set up and then leader down when fishing the smaller species of fish. Obviously when fighting a smaller fish there won't be as much fight in a heavy duty king set up. Hope this helped good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

All my downrigger rods are Shimano TDR 81/2' medium action. Not too expensive and perform well. I paired them with Penn 320 GTI reels with 30lb., no line counters on rigger reels as it doesn't matter only on my dipsey reels which are 30 size.

Edited by Firechief48

I like 8'6 medium or medium light with 15# big game. I use those rods for everything. If you get on eBay you can get those okuma downrigger rod and reel combos for like $300 for 4. You don't need a line counter for rigger rods

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Okuma-Great-Lakes-Trolling-Combo-Classic-Pro-GLT-Magda-45DX-4-PK-CPCL-862M-45DX-/181785379181?nav=SEARCH

Edited by fishmaster13184

Definitely dont get Med Heavy, for riggers. You want bend, med to med light. I prefer 7'6-8' . Okuma GLT, are cheap and good. Don't need Line counter, but I like them for setting back, I run long leads at tines, 100-150' and they are about $5-10 more. OKUMA Convectors 30's for the money, but really like the Cold waters. 20# big game . Good for about anything.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The 8 or 8 1/2 ft medium light Daiwa Heartlands or Okuma GLT rods are relatively inexpensive and will do the job. They have responsive tips necessary for a downrigger rod and enough backbone for most trout and salmon setups yet can still serve as walleye rods as well. The Daiwa Sealine series, Coldwater, or Saltists will work well in 30 size. Blood Run Sea Flee in 30 lb (because of the fleas) is a good option for the main line and then leader off of it with Seaguar fluoro leaders 20 lb for Ontario (12 for Spring browns) and 12 lb elsewhere (e.g. Finger Lakes). I use the 20 lb fluoro on worm harnesses as well. Although line counters aren't necessary for the downrigger stuff they can be handy for walleyes and for top lining in the Spring and late Fall. I have about a dozen of the older Diawa 47H's and they work fine for everything.

Edited by Sk8man