Thank-You To: Coast Guard Auxillary

My thanks and appreciation to the Coast Guard Auxillary!  My Son was fishing off Braddock's Bay an @ 70 feet of water last night. He picked up his rigs around 6:30PM and his engine failed. After trying to start it for a few minutes, he realized that it was more than he could handle alone. He called me up, and I contacted 911. They in turn called Buffalo Coast Guard, as they dispatch. An all points went out for anyone in the area to tow my Son in. After 10 minutes of waiting for local boaters to respond, the auxillary called, and we had a 4 way conversation going. Everyone was informed on the process of getting my son in. Braddock's Bay was not an option, as the C.G. boat would have bottomed out in the shallow channel. So, they towed him into the Port of Rochester.

I remember taking the Coast Guard Auxillary safe boating course. They prided themselves on being the "Boater's Friend." They are not there to ball you out, or issue tickets for possible violations. It was dark when they finally got him into port. He was cold and it can be a very lonely place out in the big pond all alone! I guess what I'm saying is: Never be ashamed about asking for help, or assistance in a situation on the water. Even if you vessel isn't up to par, a little tongue lashing is better than a foolish pride putting you in further danger or worse. The pair that picked him up, I remember as former career teachers in the district that I too retired from. A great husband and wife team. Thanks folks!  

By the way, my Son is 29. He's a tough Guy, but even tough Guys can get a little intimidated by the unknown elements of Big Lake O. BTW, he had flares on board but was smart enough to know that gas fumes and a flare would have been an explosive combination. He had his 18" Lap Top computer with him to do a Facebook video. Instead, he opened up the Lap Top and shined it towards the rescue boat and they were able to see his location. Steve......

IF you like them !  Why not join them!

I know that 4-2 [Rochester] and 4-7 [Canandaigua] and 4-4 [sodus ]  all need new members to get involved 

I was in 4-7 for over 10 years and have just initiated going back to 4-7

I too was stranded this year off Sodus and there were no Aux vessels anywhere to help so Oswego station sent a paid tow boat.. and that was $150.00

We all need to pitch in and get involved.

Dr W

Hi, Dr. W. I certainly have done my volunteering at various organizations through the years, From C.U.R.E. to a Rep. both State and Local for my Union. Unfortunately, I am disabled, Doc. with a debilitating back injury and the after effects of heavy Chemo. treatments back in '05. I'm presently  turning my equipment, my knowledge and my time in getting my Son's boat "Seaworthy" before it hits the water, again. Respectfully, Steve......

Back when I used to work as a mate on charter boats, we had an gentleman on our charter suffer a heart attack on the boat. We immediately channeled coast gaurd Oswego. Their advice and assistance helped save his life.

Thanks for sharing your story and I'm glad your son is ok.

Hi, Dr. W. I certainly have done my volunteering at various organizations through the years, From C.U.R.E. to a Rep. both State and Local for my Union. Unfortunately, I am disabled, Doc. with a debilitating back injury and the after effects of heavy Chemo. treatments back in '05. I'm presently  turning my equipment, my knowledge and my time in getting my Son's boat "Seaworthy" before it hits the water, again. Respectfully, Steve......

The USCG Aux needs more than vessel operators and crews ! We need people to do vessel exams on shore and teach boating safety and administrative help at the Squadron level.

Folks like you have experience and knowledge to pass on..

You are exactly what the Coast Guard Aux needs !

Dr W

Thanks for the invite Dr. W. I went through C.G. Aux. Course in Rochester in 98' I used to fish out of Salmon River back then. I towed a few people off the big pond in the past. People were unbelievably grateful when they saw me approaching. I wasn't a "Tow Boat" but couldn't not help someone in need. You folks are really special people for who you are and what you do. The "Big Pond" gets a little scary when the sun goes down or she starts crankin out waves. I live on the Lake, also. I call the Coast Guard when ever I see a flare out there and am constantly looking through my binoculars. The C.G. Station in Buffalo, N.Y. is where all dispatch is done. They always check the area on their maps to see if Coast Guard U.S. or Canada is in the area doing maneuvers. This year, I'm going to check and see how to make a donation to Coast Guard Auxillary. If you know how I can do it, please forward the information to me. Thanks in advance for any info, Doc!. You people DO make a difference. Steve.....