Mexico Bay 9/3 to 9/6

Had four productive days in the bay with a total of 22 bites and 19 hitting the deck (1 Brown, 2 cohos, 16 mature kings). Largest was 28lbs. We worked near the fleet most of the time and while the graph wasn't as stellar as mid-pack, the targets that were there were more cooperative. Riggers 50 feet down pulling FF 100 feet behind the ball in green/chrome and yellow/chrome with green/mirage flies did the bulk of the work. Short coppers in the 200 to 300 range and dipsies out 150 took their fair share as well, pulling the same rigs.

764ba16a4c48dc8a648e96a32181e4d5.jpg

ef9f9aa5b83f2a9f2e6429cd0302bcfe.jpg

Farmer

Channel 72

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes I do. Especially when boat traffic is heavy or I see a lot of streakers running away from the balls on the graph.

I've never ran them that far behind. Not even half that distance behind. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime. Interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've never ran them that far behind. Not even half that distance behind. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime. Interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Keep your riggers about 10 feet apart for depth (ie one at 50 one 60 and one at 70) and about 20 feet apart for lead length with the longest being the shallow one. (Shallow at 100 middle at 80 and deep at 60). Rarely get tangles, even with dipsies and copper out at the same time.

Hey thanks for the report I see your from Montrose Pa nice place I,ve been there a few times.

We fished Mexico Bay from Sept 3, - Sept 9 had some good luck my boat did 7 Kings and 1 coho 

biggest king 27lbs smallest 17.5 lbs Green on Green and white on white 80 to 65 feet of water always close to the bottom

running mostly 2.5 speed at the ball. I guess I was miss informed about flashers I had heard 30' was the max distance behind the ball because they stop preforming after that , But It takes someone like yourself to go beyond normal and make a difference.

I will be trying that next time. Thanks

Hey thanks for the report I see your from Montrose Pa nice place I,ve been there a few times.

We fished Mexico Bay from Sept 3, - Sept 9 had some good luck my boat did 7 Kings and 1 coho

biggest king 27lbs smallest 17.5 lbs Green on Green and white on white 80 to 65 feet of water always close to the bottom

running mostly 2.5 speed at the ball. I guess I was miss informed about flashers I had heard 30' was the max distance behind the ball because they stop preforming after that , But It takes someone like yourself to go beyond normal and make a difference.

I will be trying that next time. Thanks

Don't get me wrong, I do run short leads on flashers some of the time with success. But if I am marking fish and not getting hits, lengthening the leads out is usually the first change I make.

I think that if you see streakers on your graph heading down to the bottom away from your rigger balls, a long lead gets hits that a short one won't. The ball drives them to the bottom, then they get settled, look up, and along comes your flasher and they are in a perfect ambush position being under it thats too good to pass up.

Humm . You got me thinking about length . I was running 30-40' off the ball and would see streakers come off the bottom to look then drop back down.

I figured they were looking at the ball and not seeing the lures so I shortened up to 8-10' lead.

Neither worked so I have nothing to compare and still searching

Rich

Had four productive days in the bay with a total of 22 bites and 19 hitting the deck (1 Brown, 2 cohos, 16 mature kings). Largest was 28lbs. We worked near the fleet most of the time and while the graph wasn't as stellar as mid-pack, the targets that were there were more cooperative. Riggers 50 feet down pulling FF 100 feet behind the ball in green/chrome and yellow/chrome with green/mirage flies did the bulk of the work. Short coppers in the 200 to 300 range and dipsies out 150 took their fair share as well, pulling the same rigs. 764ba16a4c48dc8a648e96a32181e4d5.jpgef9f9aa5b83f2a9f2e6429cd0302bcfe.jpg

Farmer

Channel 72

damn u have like what, $700 worth of coolers in that pic?

What's new on Mexico? Chewing on making last run for the season but weather forecasts look a little dicey. 4 1/2 hr hump for me. Just running a 16 ' but don't need to go past the 80 for plugging. Your honest scrutiny will be taken. Thanks folks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm not heading up this weekend due to other commitments but if I was based on projected winds I would plan to stay in the 50 to 60 foot range on Saturday and fishing in the river on Sunday. Be careful in a 16 footer this weekend. She can get ugly in a hurry this time of year.

Thanks Rich, I usually don't like to play in that park, I know how it gets in the round about. But it is an option. I'm trying to get my grandson his first salmon. He's 10 and he landed his first big O brown this past spring, and a descent 9 lb laker in Cayuga last month. My just take him to the river. It's probably gonna be crappy and crazy, but the fish gotta get wet too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app