Okuma Coldwater Dipsy Rods

I have all okumas from the classic downrigger, dipsey, leadcore, ect. I wasn't even aware there was a Coldwater rod. What is the length? I have a few of the reels and by far my favorite except Penn's. First if you don't mind me asking did you break only one? What application of fishing were you using? Down riggers, dipseys? And what pound test and did you ever use a twili tip? I think they make a huge difference. I had a classic down rigger rod break on me my second day. Mass manufacturing there's going to be some with imperfections. I am a fan of the triangular grip on the classics I wish more companies used it. I guess I will have to focus on learning some rod building this winter.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Most of my gear is almost all Okuma. I have not had any problems besides the Coldwater series rods. The rod is the 10'6" dipsy w/ twilly tip. First one snapped while set in a rod holder after about an hour of trolling. Led me to believe it was an isolated incident. Sent it back and they sent me a new one. Couple days ago while tripping the dipsy to retrieve it, snapped another. I don't abuse my equipment and store it indoors when not using. Called Okuma and they said they've never heard of any problems with these. I found that very hard to believe.

I tend to agree with Eviltroll and the mass production issues. All of my gear is Okuma mostly the low end stuff and that was first issue I've had. Have rods and reels going onto 6 years now. If something breaks now I know I got my use out of it for what I paid and would probably replace with the same.

Edited by TileMan Dan

i have been using the okuma blue diamond diver rods. i have had 3 break about 20" or so from the tip. each break happened when putting excessive bend in the rod. it has been 2 years since the last break and "countless" mature kings boated on these rods. they broke not bringing in mature fish which is the odd thing. customer service was solid. replacement rods sent for shipping cost only. biggest issue i have is the eyelets getting a groove from the wire. i have been patching them with epoxy/ jp weld equiv. and that holds well and has stretched the life of the rods. okuma also said the line guide issue was something they have not had issue with and the same with the rod tips. love the action on those rods. btw to trip the diver just point the rod straight at diver, put thumb on spool to prevent it from pulling and pull rod straight back with rod parallel to water. i then tighten the drag to crank in gear again with the rod pointed straight at the diver.

i am curious how the line guides hold up on the newer diver rods.

Dan