Dipsy Vs Downrigger

I am not a big fan of dipsy divers and after reading so many reports of boats doing so well with them I had to ask this question?

How long are you running your leads off your down riggers?

If your boat is spooking the fish but the dipsys are set to run wide perhaps the reason the dipsys do so well is because they are farther from your boat shadow ?

With the water clarity being what it is perhaps you are running to short a lead?

I now run very long leads off my Downriggers up to 75 feet depending on what I'm pulling.

Anyone else have the same thoughts?

Dr W

I have run divers and riggers for along time and have noticed my divers out fish the riggers hands down in all waters from the lake ontario to the finger lakes. I have run rigger lines farther back from the ball like you were mentioning wand have not noticed a difference with catch rates. If I had only to chose between divers and down riggers I would chose the diver every time. Just my opinion. I don't like the resistance when reeling in a fish but fish numbers would make me pick divers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I prefer a dipsy hit over a downrigger. Its another way to get more baits in the water. Spreading them off to the side increases amount of water covered. Someday's its just what they want. Been days only riggers have fired, some days only dipsy's, other days coppers. 

I have run divers and riggers for along time and have noticed my divers out fish the riggers hands down in all waters from the lake ontario to the finger lakes. I have run rigger lines farther back from the ball like you were mentioning wand have not noticed a difference with catch rates. If I had only to chose between divers and down riggers I would chose the diver every time. Just my opinion. I don't like the resistance when reeling in a fish but fish numbers would make me pick divers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2- besides from dipseys being farther away from the boat they are also wandering around a bit in the water column. I do ok with riggers and I tend to run my leads shorter than longer

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Keep in mind that your spread all runs as one unit. Take the riggers away and you may find the action on your dipseys drops. I beleuve that Your total spread pulls the fish in and then once the riggers go by the dipseys, copper etc trail behind and often trigger the strike

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know everyone has their own answer to this question....  but what if all (or most of it) of it is irrelevant?  What if perhaps because our human brains think in terms of "cause and effect" we believe that our actions directly cause something to happen when in fact it may be other things going on.... ah... food for thought.  What I am suggesting is that just the proximity or closeness of the lure to the fish (or group of them) by itself may be the critical factor along with perhaps lure action that appears vulnerable or easy to catch and all this other stuff that we do is just sort of "superstitious behavior" (e.g length of lead, fluoro vs. mono, distance from the ball, speed of the boat etc.) and dipsey vs. downriggers is all incidental to catching fish :lol:Then again maybe I shouldn't have had that third coffee :)

Edited by Sk8man

I catch more kings on dipsies than riggers. Why? I have no idea. I run 2 riggers with tight set backs maybe 15' and 2 dispies on 2 or 3 setting.

When I used to run 2 riggers and just 1 dipsy I would catch half of my fish on the dipsy.

Edited by reeleyz

Most days I'm out I see times when divers are going, then riggers or vise versa. Some days are riggers mostly or divers. It's weird, but their is a reason for it. I'll lengthen my riggers when divers are going and Nada.

I don't try figuring it out anymore, I just roll with it.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

X2- besides from dipseys being farther away from the boat they are also wandering around a bit in the water column. I do ok with riggers and I tend to run my leads shorter than longer

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

. Right on here always thought a huge difference my divers did much better and often on Cayuga would pull 3 Dipsey rigs they move up and down in the column with boat speed and turns always more hits!! Edited by trouthunter9

Most days I'm out I see times when divers are going, then riggers or vise versa. Some days are riggers mostly or divers. It's weird, but their is a reason for it. I'll lengthen my riggers when divers are going and Nada.

I don't try figuring it out anymore, I just roll with it.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

After over 40 years of using both methods I think Scott hit the nail on the head with his comment. Each method has its strengths and weaknesses  on a given day and only the fish can answer "why" :)

If the 47H's are the Great lakes LC model you may want to have the drag washers replaced with carbon fiber ones from Tuna Tom....it makes them into a better reel inexpensively.