Owasco 9/11

Very proud to say that Great Lakes Lures Fishing teams took 2nd and 4th on Owasco today. We also took lunker with an 11.04 laker. No spin docs, no e chips, no dipseys riggers or flies and meat... Just straight up lure fishing... The only change we made was to fish old school. Old school GLL style. Congratulations to the Marlene crew and Filthy Liar crew... Looking forward to Keuka..

Sent from my VK410 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We had a chance to stay on Owasco for our 16th anniversary. My wife has really gotten into catching these fish with me, she is a keeper!! Pre fished on Saturday and we really liked the east shore mid lake and decided to fish there on Sunday.  We boated 15 lake trout, 6 rainbows and 1 brown.  Unfortunately the silver fish were mostly shorts with only one keeper bow. We had so much fun and a great weekend even though we took 8th place.  Congratulations to Russ, Jason and Mike for the top three finishers.  Jason that laker was a pig and I give you tons of credit for doing it your way! Mike thanks again your flies worked like a charm and we couldn't keep the lakers off. :)   

The last two events should be interesting seeing that the top spots are so close.  Stay Tuned!!

Congrats on a strong finish!!!!Good job to Russ and his crew on the win. And I'm hoping to be In town for keuka I enjoy that lake! I heard it was a all spoon bite yesterday, sounded like it was tossed right in your wheel house. Way to capitalize

The fish we caught were FF fish and spoon fed.. I'd say 50/50 The fish were all over the screen top to bottom.  That probably is why Jason's rig worked so well.. 

Congrats to Russ on a well overdue win and great job Jason and Crew on your 2nd place finish and lunker ... A mix of spoons and flies worked for us and the beauty male 5 lb bow we caught ate a O&M 50 on the 7 color and just ripped it and made some exciting runs directly at the boat multiple times..We put a nice box together but couldn't find that one brown we were looking for all day... We were short a crew member this week so I asked Alex Young from LOU to fish with us.. Have talked with him many times on LOU and thru text and he is just as much of a knowledgeable fisherman and all around good guy talking fishing as he is in person too.. Thanks again Alex we will definitely do some more fishing together in the future....

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

Catatonk Paul - "Old school" basically refers to doing things the "old way" or something formerly familiar but now other things may have augmented it or taken its place (e.g. wire flasher/fly or Spinney setups, downriggers etc.). In this case "rig" or "Seth Green" or "thermocline rigs" are multi-leader and lure methods which historically are one of the oldest methods of taking trout in the Finger Lakes (1800's)

Congratulations Russ and crew and Mike and crew :) I'm surprised wind wasn't a more major factor yesterday as it was pretty breezy here in Canandaigua.

What do you mean by old school?

First, thank you all for the compliments! Much appreciated and I will pass them along to Kevin,Theresa and Pat and his crew.

Paul, am referring to back in the 90s when I used to fish tournaments with my Dad. My Dad was very particular about speed, boat control and his rigs. For almost 20 years fishing with my Dad he insisted on only using 2 colors. Orange and yellow and green and yellow lures. Those who know my Dad can tell you that is true. He did it for 20 years! We were not allowed to run any other color lure. It took me years to get him to let me put a red back lure or a copper lure on the top leader for silvers. And black and purple, forget it. If my Dad found a black and purple lure, he through it away! The bottom 2 lures on the rig had to be Oakie Doakies. And the boat better be holding 2.2 mph. The colors were one orange and yellow then a green and yellow, All 10 spoons this way. (10 leader rigs) He would always insist on trolling in circles or figure 8's and on structure. If they were not bitting, we wait because they will... The one thing he proved was with just those 2 colors on rigs you could go to any body of water and consistently catch big Lakers. He proved it for some 20 years! He was very hard to beat and you could always count on him having a decent box of Lakers.

Lately I realized that we have gotten away from some of the things that made us consistent. I noticed we didn't have one single orange and yellow or green and yellow lure on the boat! I was trolling at 2.5 - 2.7 minimum... We drove in straight lines... I had changed everything that made us consistent. And it was obvious we were not we had good days, but not great days. I tried to figure out what we might be doing and changing more and more till I started to notice our new field tester ( Pat Polovick) was much more consistent at boating 8 and 10 pounders and we hadn't caught a 10 lbs laker in the fingerlakes for 2 years. I know Pat was running 60 oz lead and I went to 48 oz, one, because my Dad couldn't pull a 60oz anymore and also because I had been teaching my girlfriend how to run rigs on her own. So we went back to 60oz weights. Pat was running 2.2 mph and when I convinced him to speed up, his fishing got worse. Pat also told me he only runs the 2 color system!

I made a point that I was going back to our "old school" method of fishing for the Owasco tournament and boy did it pay off! I quickly realized that Theresa couldn't control the boat and speed control like I needed so we switched rolls on the boat, I drove and she became the starboard rigger. She stepped right up to it and her and Kevin kept our gear fishing. We had structure, we made pass after pass on it with our 2 color spreads and after each pass we pulled and cleared lines and re set for another pass on our structure. It was by far one of the best trips we have had in a long time! When I realized we had 28 lbs in Lakers in the box, it was time to go fish silvers for our 1 man limit weigh in!

That is why I was so proud of both teams yesterday! It was like the 90s all over again!

Sent from my VK410 using Lake Ontario United mobile app