Auto pilots

GeorgeB 802

I just built one using an arduino board. I used the Jack Thompson plans and computer code  that you can find on you- tube. He built it for his sailboat. I am almost ready to try it on the water. I have about $300--$350 in it, and that includes the 12 volt linear actuator motor from fergilli automation, used to steer the kicker motor/main outboard.  The motor costs about $140. So, if you are a do it yourselfer, or don;t want to spend thousands, you can try it.

I installed the Raymarine EV100 in my brother in laws boat last month. He loves it. It responds well. He had hydraulic steering already. Don't know about the long term reliability yet. Total cost was about $1200 after rebate. I have had a Simrad for five years. No problems at all.

I just built one using an arduino board. I used the Jack Thompson plans and computer code that you can find on you- tube. He built it for his sailboat. I am almost ready to try it on the water. I have about $300--$350 in it, and that includes the 12 volt linear actuator motor from fergilli automation, used to steer the kicker motor/main outboard. The motor costs about $140. So, if you are a do it yourselfer, or don;t want to spend thousands, you can try it.

have a link for the autopilot plans? sounds interesting!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The biggest problem I had with the Jack Edwards-home built autopilot was getting the software to load into the arduino folder that is created when you download the free arduino program. You have to get the AP software and his libraries into the correct spot so it will load.   On his dropbox is a   The rest was easy. 

the autopilot documentation and he has direct links to everything you need to buy to make it work. I did not get the arduino frame (breakout board) I just wired it direct to the arduino  board.

If you have hydrolic steering I would suggest the Lowrance unit they came out with last year. I have a generation 2 HDS plotter/finder that controls it. I paid less than a grand for the autopilot and installed myself. It runs off the GPS and doesn't matter if it's rough water!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Lake Ontario United mobile app