Newest Salmon Stocking info. DEC. Ouch!

Everybody has their own preference. I love catching King Salmon in the open waters , not so much in a trib. Totally different fish. Just as Atlantic Salmon are truly a better river fish than open water caught IMHO. To say Salmo Salar isn't the fighter a King is....means you haven't caught one on a swung fly in a big river, where they have just as much (actually MORE speed) than Pacific Salmon, and I've had them leap as high as many Tarpon I've hooked. Couple that with the one thing Pacific Salmon don't possess. A super sense of curiosity to where they will raise from 10 feet down, swirl and bump your fly to where it becomes a true cat and mouse game of finding a fly they will come to play with. They may crush that fly, or sip it like a 12 inch trout. Once you sink the Iron the experience of how they react will have you talking to yourself. Probably not fair to compare a fish that the boat hooks and is fought by a moving boat, VS a 1 on 1 session with a different wonderful game fish where the hunt, the take, and the fight is very up close and personal.

Love em both, just in different environments. On the reduction it's so minimal. Remember the drought of 2007. DEC only recovered and stocked in the spring of 2008 less than 800K Kings. Go look at the Creel census for 2011, 2012. Record catches of adult fish....and returns to the hatchery. I'd be more inclined that if we make such a fuss about a minimal reduction, WE the stakeholders are sending the message to others that the fishing will be off. When most probably unless confined by weather like 14,15...it won't be.

Lol Im looking for my white towel lol. I know its somewhere...Well I cant find it so im putting my replay of sugar ray leonard vs roberto duran Bout 2...you know.."no mas, no mas" lol..

Imo this is no big deal. I would be upset if DEC didnt do what they are doing because that would indicate they are throwing in the towel....Keep in mind they have done this before (adjust stocking levels) sometimes they have increased, sometimes they decrease.

This being a non natural fishery (salmonoid) it is the responsibility of everyone to ensure it continues into the future....

Example: I have seen a drastic increase in the last 5 years alone in "bait fishing". For every one (bait) you take out of the water, put it in a bag, salt it, oil it, process it only to put it back in the water with a toothpick thru it..all that to catch a fish that is dependent on that "bait"...you in fact are contributing to the reduction of alewife population...true dat!

I personally speak with the DEC boys several times a season. They constantly monitor our fish cleaning station and even dig in the barrels for heads....Do you know what their biggest battle is??? communication from Charter Captains who treat them like they are a 5 headed monster.  They try and avoid them because they think their business will be ruined by their findings.....(this is from conversations i have had with them concerning the entire region in general not one specific place)

I can only say this. I have fished on this lake for 50 years now. It started slow with little expectations and turned into a wonderful scenario we can all enjoy. Let DEC etc do what they gotta do, support them, give them your findings, be a little more conscious of what your doing....and everything will be fine..

Edited by mrclean

I don't believe the cuts will make that much of a difference to the quality of fishing. Winds, temps etc will likely affect the fishing more.

However if you do believe it will I'll gladly buy your gear at a discount. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app