Canandaigua

hotholes

There is currently an advisory by the sheriff's office  because of the shallow water along the shoreline.  Some smaller boats have been launching at the north end ramp but the channel is very low. When I went out last Friday I had to trim up my 135 outboard so that the prop was just under the water and some of the water showed as 2- 2 1/2 ft on my finder in the channel near the ramp. My boat 18 1/2 ft Whaler drafts a foot or less.

Edited by Sk8man

This has been an unusual year as far as water levels mostly due to the drought conditions plaguing much of the US Pretty much all of the public launch ramps seem to b very low right now and this situation probably will not end anytime soon because Fall water levels in most of the Finger Lakes are notoriously low.  If it is a matter of just testing out your boat I should think the launch at Keuka Lake State Park (near Branchport) might work. One of the other problems to be aware of with low water conditions is that you may have to back your trailer farther in and there lies a significant possibility of problems in that often the end of the concrete ends sooner than normal and your trailer wheels could go off the end and the trailer axle might hang up on it. (Don't ask how I know this :lol:). 

If you go the lake I wouldn't try the public ramp at Sodus Point. there is a rockpile created by the power loaders right in the middle of the dock area and a pothole on the ramp itself Hughes Marina is fine.