Mark Troy Memorial Tournament

I don't know about you guys but I am getting pumped about the upcoming Mark Troy Memorial Tournament on Saturday, October 1st. This is always one of my favorite trips that I make each year and I haven't fished a lot this year.

I know there are a few people new to the site who may not be familiar with the tournament. It is a great opportunity to meet fellow LOU members as well as Muskies Inc. members. The atmosphere makes it seem more like a friendly outing than a competition and every year I have participated, Captain Ed Cragg delivered chili to us on the water!

After the tournament there is a great cookout, awards and a nice raffle table. This is a great time to chat with others about the madness we call muskie fishing and a great opportunity to share knowledge. If you have never fished Waneta Lake before and are reluctant to fish against others who have, it is a small enough lake that I have no doubt somebody fishing it for the first time has a great chance at getting into some fish.

Steve- can you post the details for this year, I assume they are the same as last year but don't want to give out the wrong information by mistake...

I hope to see you all out there.

Trevor

My favorite tournament of the year - hands down!  Name another tournament where you get "On the water hot chili :coffee: delivered to you and your crew" as part of the event?  And I like the use of judge boats, it's funny that I didn't fish the PMTT this year cause they decided to get rid of judge boats.  Looking forward to the Troy tourney as always :yes:

Here are some details.

Fishing hours: 7am to 3:30 pm. Start time could change if there is a fog problem.

Awards are scheduled to be at about 4pm.

The cottage we usually have on Swarthout Point was rented to someone else so we are working on finding another suitable location. We may have another cottage. If not we will decide on an alternative location for the awards and hopefully cookout and raffle.

Stay tuned for an update.

We had a great time as always and will have some memories we will never forget. Even though I only caught fish on Friday my partners made up for it with tying in the  "most fish per boat" category.

Thank you to all who worked hard to make this happen!

Had a great time with my father and Joe fishing the Troy.  Had some luck early and lost some nice fish later in the day.  Top three fish all measured 45".  Biggest for us was 44.5" (half inch short, story of my life my wife would say :lol: ).  Got a chance to help Ed land nice 46" fish.  Overall the tournament was a blast!  Ed deserves a lot of credit for making the event so much fun, along with Jim, Steve and Bob.

post-139486-0-17611900-1475410640_thumb.jpeg

post-139486-0-77816800-1475410640_thumb.jpeg

post-139486-0-37280600-1475410641_thumb.jpeg

post-139486-0-00905800-1475410642_thumb.jpeg

post-139486-0-64047400-1475410642_thumb.jpeg

post-139486-0-21754400-1475410643_thumb.jpeg

As always, it was a good time but I still have yet to catch a fish in the tournament. I had an exciting two seconds of hope with a fish that hit my lure as soon as it hit the water. I think everyone on the south end heard my AAAAW!! when it got off. It felt and looked like a good one too.

It was a good social time at the get together after the tournament.

I like that picture of Capt. Ed with the fish. It looks like he is sprinting across the boat with it.

As always, it was a good time but I still have yet to catch a fish in the tournament. I had an exciting two seconds of hope with a fish that hit my lure as soon as it hit the water. I think everyone on the south end heard my AAAAW!! when it got off. It felt and looked like a good one too.

It was a good social time at the get together after the tournament.

I like that picture of Capt. Ed with the fish. It looks like he is sprinting across the boat with it.

I feel your pain. I am up to 8 tournaments and have boated one fish that was too short to enter.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Congrats to everyone that managed to find the big fish. Especially Capt Ed on that well deserved monster. It was nice to see a few of you guys at the launch but after that rain I was ready to head out. Thanks to Ed, Jim, Steve, and Bob for putting all the work in. And that stew!!

I managed to stumble into one cripple muskie that was missing it's left pectoral fin. My first muskie ever actually. But after seeing what lurks in Waneta Lake it will surely not be my last.

e5c6f39ab6d25db6254f9be208367adf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That missing fin is because it was clipped. They clip a different fin on stocked muskies every year in a specific rotation through the pectoral and ventral fins. When the fish is captured in a trap net or caught and reported in a diary, they know it is a stocked fish if there is a clipped fin. If there are no clipped fins, it is a natural spawned fish. They can tell by a combination of the gender, size of the fish and which fin is clipped, what year the fish was stocked.

Funny, I had to edit and use the word gender instead of the more commonly used word for gender because the language control bot inserted "fun loving" in place of that word.

Edited by muskiedreams