How Big to Mount?

A buddy and I were discussing this recently. How big would you want a King Salmon to be from Lake O in order to get it mounted? 30 lbs, 35, 40+? This includes either replica or regular mount as obviously a lot of people like to practice catch and release. Thanks for the replies!

I would have to say this is a personal preference type of thing, maybe the impossible turned possible, might be a sons first catch ect. The guys who been fishing since the late 70's mid 80's know the Kings used to get 40#'s+ and would say I wouldn't get that little fish mounted. Guys just starting out catching mid 20#ers might want to mount his first 30#+ fish, me personally like the looks of the silvers in mid season, but your chances are greater in the staging state where their are getting darker. Personally I think the Atlantics are the nicest looking fish swimming in the trout line. My next replica will be a laker over 30#s I have a 12.75 lbs walleye 33 3/4"s and a 42" northern pike mounted and my next goal is a 30#+ laker. So with that said, think it's a personal preference thing. Tight lines to ya

Why does there have to be a size limit?

In my 35 years of taxidermy I deal with this all the time. Like pap said its a matter of personal preference.

MY "personal preference" is to have a great representative of the species. More often than not the biggest isn't the prettiest or the nicest to look at.

Personal preference !

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Nice mount...  I can picture that on my wall - very nice........

I have struggled with size.  For me it is about character and this is one instance where the ladies just don't do it for me.   I saw a guy drag out a smallish king (18 ish) male one fall with the most beautiful kype and coloration (might have been one of those chinhos) and I thought to myself that would make a nice mount.  But I would rather have a 25lb male with an angry look on his Kype (preferrably more olive than Black) than a 40lb hen waiting to get bumped.  So size doesn't matter in this regard. Character 1st , size 2nd.

I've been coming up from Ohio for 11 seasons and have yet to break the 30 mark, If I catch one (i hope to eventually) and it's a clean looking fish and has good color i would probably mount it, i wouldn't mount a mud shark though.

I don't live in NY so only get so much time to King fish. In Ohio I've lost count of 10 and 11 lb walleye many moons ago.  I've boated 8 eyes over 12, one low 13, I always said if i get a teen I would mount it, finally caught one,  I put in the livewell admired it for for awhile took some pics and let her go. Most guys would mount a 12 without a doubt if they were looking to hang one, I throw them back if they are healthy, some guys have yet to catch a 10 even in Ohio. 

Really all depends on the person and what you would consider a trophy worth spending the money on that you want to look at on your wall. No straight answer. 

Edited by K Gonefishin

Agree on the personal preference. I've got a couple 2lb perch on a piece of drift that I mounted with a pic below them. Every time I look at them I remember that pile we had with a buddy. I've caught them bigger but that day was special. To me that's what it's all about.

post-143448-14740417064851_thumb.jpg

post-143448-14740420527415_thumb.jpg

I did this 15+ lb brown last year... It was pretty, it placed in the loc and was part of a very good showing in the Sodus pro am. I will catch bigger Browns I'm sure, but it was memorable. I also mounted my first 30+ lb King, and that remains one of only 2 fish I've caught that size. I think it's as much about the story as the fish. My goal is to get a nice steelie... I'm actually considering really getting into stream fishing more for that specific purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by rdebadts