How Big to Mount?

Yeah it's by the inch. For skin mounts, trout and salmon are usually about $2 more per inch so you are looking at anywhere from $9- $12 per inch but I have never priced out a replica but again it depends on who you go to.  The guy that did my mounts in Camillus I think got out of the business but he was awesome and reasonable.

Yeah it's by the inch. For skin mounts, trout and salmon are usually about $2 more per inch so you are looking at anywhere from $9- $12 per inch but I have never priced out a replica but again it depends on who you go to. The guy that did my mounts in Camillus I think got out of the business but he was awesome and reasonable.

"$9-$12 per inch"?????

In 1978 maybe. [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Haha really?  Like I said it has been a long time since I had a mount done and that was back in 2003 and the rate was about the same as the one in 97 so I didn't think the rate would have changed all that much.  I paid around $325 I think for my 31" walleye and around $450 for my 33 1/2" coho. 

Edited by greenhornet73

This was dated back in 2009 from an experienced taxidermist in Denver.

Prices vary, but here is one taxidermists prices.
He is a Grand Master Taxidermist.

Bass 3-6 pounds---$285

Bass over 7 pounds---$300

Crappie any size---$235

Blue Gill any size---$225

Walleye, Pike, Musky---$12 an inch $200 minimum

Striped Bass---$13 an inch

Trout, Salmon---$14 an inch

Reproductions---$16 an inch

Epoxie Finish---$35-$50

Is that kind of like Certified Organic?

When you say Grand Master I think of Karate and that would be cool to watch.  "Paint scale left hand up.  Paint scale right hand down.  Breathe in noise out mouth - very important."

I too thought that reps were more like 15-18/in depending on whether the artist was hand painting or air brushing.  But with that said I do know that there are some guys doing stuff cheaper or less expensive and quality is in the eye of the beholder.  The ones I know of,  do it more as a hobby than a business.  I am somewhat cheap and I can honestly say that I want top quality for something like this or I would rather remember it from photos and my memory and if I can't afford it so be it.

I am amazed by Paul's work so I am inclined to take him at his word.  Anyways, no gaurantees in life that you pay more and get better either...

I can say that the mounts that I paid those prices for still look just as new as the day I got them back.  He used a rubberized material for the fins that doesn't dry out like you see on some older mounts.   I don't care what anyone says, replicas are quite a bit more expensive than skin mounts and that is why I didn't have a 48" muskie mounted a few years ago because I insisted on releasing it.  The pictures and newspaper article will have to be enough to keep that memory alive.

You can still find guys for 12/inch... probably not gonna look as good as Paul (or fishmounter) can do it though.

There is a very big difference between making your fish look like a representation of the species, and making it look like YOUR fish, which is what a really good guy can do. I am consistently amazed with the detail of the really good guys work- that's what you pay for. I wish I had more money...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United