Cayuga 9/14

lily

Had a great day today. Launched out of Myers and went straight across from launch and set up on a North troll. Riggers stets at 80 and 60 with sliders on both. Dipsy set back 240 and 180 both on 2. First fish came just beyond the falls on a purple atomic fly with a problem troll flasher. Came off the 240 dipsy. Landed a nice healthy laker. Not long after came anouther laker on a blue silver spindoctor with a green and silver atomic fly. Kept a.north troll with a pretty steady catch of Lakers most in the 5 to 7 lb range. Most productive water was.the 80 to 100 ft of water. Switched riggers over to flasher fly combos with cheaters later in the day with no responce. Went 6 for 10 today. And only caught 1 small salmon. Lakers were very active on the west side. Spent some time on the east side near the plant fishing our way backed to the boat launch with no results. Best water today was west side north of the boy scout camp. Good to catch fish with some decent size. The dipsy was hot today and might as well left riggers at home. Tried all different leads from the ball tried numerous different spoons with every color imaginable. Any way thanks.for everyone's advise had a great day. Was planning on going south today but last minute went North and glad I did. Good luck everyone and be safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It was good to stay with bigger fish for the day. A hand full of boats were over by the falls but other than that didn't see much for boats. Took my shift Captain with me. He hadn't been on the water in 2 or 3 years so it was great to be out.

That's what I would have thought that the bait would have been deep. While I was out yesterday I would wonder from 80 out to 300 + and then back in while out deep I was marking fish at 220+ ft of water. More info think I marked alot of fish from 180 to 250. Don't know what that would have been but way to deep for me to try to chase.

Sturgeon like to hang out that deep, they are getting ready to feast on Laker eggs. I can't wait til NY says we can fish for these goliaths The stocked fish are now over 20 years old and they spawned this past spring so hopefully there will be a fishable population, catch n release... Maybe part of the great Cayuga fishing is because of these fish being in the ecosystem..

I know the surgeons are in the lake but I would have never thought in the numbers I was marking. But I really don't know much on the sturgeon except they can be huge. Anyway thanks. When you fish in the winter do you launch out of the falls. Myers is the closest to me but I don't know if that launch is accessible all winter or not. The coming from the east going all the way around the lake adds quite alot to travel time for me. Is there any launches on the east side that are definitely open all year round.

post-159344-0-41989700-1474204046_thumb.jpgpost-159344-0-12000100-1474204345_thumb.jpgMy experience with winter fishing for lakers is in Keyuka only.  We used to go up every week, no matter what.  All that ended last year with the decline of the bait.  Now don't forget that Keyuka does not get 200 feet deep.  We did not see much difference in location except in the spring.   4 and more years ago we fished the south end and the bluffs only and they were always in the same area.  Ice fishing too, the same area, weird feeling walking out 3/4  to the bluffs dragging sleds, was always a challenge to get on the ice someplace as most of the shore had bubblers.  And we had a lot of company, hardly ever did not get a limit of decent sized fish.  6 pound test fireline jigging rod 3 feet long and a pocket of 4 or 5 jigs.   I did use some metal but my buddys did not.  We took one gas auger and started drilling holes, the other person scopped and ran around with the depthfinder(the same one used in the boat) looking for fish fish, once they were found, we fished.   Just saying.....jk