Anyone ever troll at night?

Bait guys do well at night. I've tried it 3 times(trolling) fishing till midnight Never moved a rod although the fish finder was full of fish including bait. We always did well on landlocks as the light was just cracking. As

much bait as we saw I think they must come out of the deep. You have nothing to lose give it a try! Wes

I've noticed just before it is to dark to see and first light there is a lot of bait as you said in shallower. Last trip about 8 weeks ago, when I past threw an area there was nothing on the screen, came back threw on the same ledge there was a ton of bait and hooked up to a real nice ll that broke the line.

I also noticed this scenario happened on Seneca when fishing with buddy before the derby.

I or my girlfriend miss placed my kicker ez steer arm. Going to get a new one today and give it a shot tomorrow morning. Hope I can find some bigger LL's.

Sent from my XT1528 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Did you try any glow spoons or flies with e chip? Just curious if vibration would help. I wouldn't be out to much past dark. Maybe hour and half tops. Rebuilt the motor but I rather not be the only one on the lake after dark and have something go wrong

Tried glow spoons, FFs and long-lined stick baits.  Not saying it can't be done, just didn't come together for me those few times.  I don't recall what the moon phase was.

I'm toying with the idea too.. Put together these LED TX 22 planner boards a few weeks ago and gave them a shot last week... They worked extremely well and was very impressed with them...

https://vimeo.com/182987255attachicon.gif20160902_100044-1.jpg

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Didn't they guy from my other camp do well on browns after dark ? Hoot and I gave it a go a few times didn't do much. Heads up if you launch from a DAY USE state park let the head office know or you will have a warning on youe truck when you come back in. Happen to me at Lodi State park

I don't recall Ed... I will keep that in mind thank you very much.. I think if you put the right presentation out there at night you can still get these fish to bite you're probably going to have to play around a little bit ..Also just installed these Atwood deck spotlights, they run on 6 AA batteries and they rail mount so no holes drilled and the light up the back of the boat unbelievably.post-148405-14740281844443_thumb.jpg

Mike

Ed makes a good point. Back when I used to night fish on Seneca and Keuka I would leave my truck and trailer in the parks and on one occasion When I came in in the early AM there was a park police vehicle and a State Police car waiting by my truck and they weren't real happy that I hadn't either put a note or notified anyone that I was staying out there all night and they weren't sure if it was someone who was in trouble out there. I was a little 'sheepish" as I recall :lol: Never had that problem at the Woodville launch at the south end of Canandaigua though as back then there were bunches of folks out there doing it. Trolling at night can be a mess though (we bait fished with night fishing rigs while anchored or drifting) and that was bad enough :) . If it isn't a real bright moonlit night  it is first of all difficult to see your lines and/or where a fish is on any of them and most importantly it is very difficult to get your bearings out there especially late at night when folks turn their cottage lights out so you have no landmarks visible at all and if you get turned around somehow without electronic aids etc. you don't have a clue even what side of the lake you are on :lol: The boat lights now days are a good idea for many reasons

Edited by Sk8man

Ed makes a good point. Back when I used to night fish on Seneca and Keuka I would leave my truck and trailer in the parks and on one occasion When I came in in the early AM there was a park police vehicle and a State Police car waiting by my truck and they weren't real happy that I hadn't either put a note or notified anyone that I was staying out there all night and they weren't sure if it was someone who was in trouble out there. I was a little 'sheepish" as I recall[emoji38]Never had that problem at the Woodville launch at the south end of Canandaigua though as back then there were bunches of folks out there doing it. Trolling at night can be a mess though (we bait fished with night fishing rigs while anchored or drifting) and that was bad enough[emoji2]. If it isn't a real bright moonlit night it is first of all difficult to see your lines and/or where a fish is on any of them and most importantly it is very difficult to get your bearings out there especially late at night when folks turn their cottage lights out so you have no landmarks visible at all and if you get turned around somehow without electronic aids etc. you don't have a clue even what side of the lake you are on[emoji38]The boat lights now days are a good idea for many reasons

Les and Ed both bring up great points.. definitely let someone know of your plans before you head out and if you use a state launch make sure you let somebody from that launch know... and even if you think you know the lake like the back of your hand at anytime weather can push in or fog making it very disoriented and hard to keep track of where you're at good Electronics especially a GPS and a compass are a must... I have been out on Seneca Lake many times when the fog has rolled in and you can hear the guys in the boat next to you having a conversation word for word but you cannot see them it is a very uneasy situation...

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke

I'm toying with the idea too.. Put together these LED TX 22 planner boards a few weeks ago and gave them a shot last week... They worked extremely well and was very impressed with them...

https://vimeo.com/182987255attachicon.gif20160902_100044-1.jpg

Mike

I just got my lights in this morning! I've been playing with them all day.

post-149977-14740486562964_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have quite a few nite time fishing runs on streams and full moon(now)is bad. Nite time with a dark phase of the moon is brown trout time. I have never caught a boorkie or rainbow at nite. No idea about lakers but from what I have heard they do at least bite on dark moon nites with lantern on live bait......jk

I use led mast lights and DOT reflecting tape on the inline boards....just as easy to fish at night as day....I will say I've never had any luck with spoons glow or not on walleye at night...try bomber long a blue prism jointed...it works very well at night on everything here on Otisco that's on bait and I know it works for trout

Justin Okrepki

NYSDEC licensed guide #7324

otiscolakeguideservice.com

(607)-349-1750

I use led mast lights and DOT reflecting tape on the inline boards....just as easy to fish at night as day....I will say I've never had any luck with spoons glow or not on walleye at night...try bomber long a blue prism jointed...it works very well at night on everything here on Otisco that's on bait and I know it works for trout

Justin Okrepki

(607)-349-1750

Good to know...

Sent from my VK410 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Justin Okrepki

(607)-349-1750

I've caught 'eyes at night trolling slim or long, slim profiled spoons. Usually single hooked or even weedless spoons. Swedish  pimples are ones that have worked

How long does a park tick last? I bought one with my card once at night the. Next morning tried to use the same card... Didn't work... Guy behind me used a card and it worked fine... Maybe it was just me. Good thing I had $7 that morning

I have a Empire pass , good for a year it was on my truck window when the gave me the ticket did not matter they needed to be informed I was going to fish after dark/sundown.

Good to know. Was wondering if it was like a fishing license. You can't buy a new one until the old one runs out. Just curious if lasted 24 hours.

I miss the days you could go to Dean's cove after 7 and fish a few hours free... I been paying before dark and first thing in the morning. Wish Seneca was doing better... I'd fish right out Lodi for free... They never have anyone there... I imagine eventually their will be a computerized ticket maid there.

Good to know. Was wondering if it was like a fishing license. You can't buy a new one until the old one runs out. Just curious if lasted 24 hours.

I miss the days you could go to Dean's cove after 7 and fish a few hours free... I been paying before dark and first thing in the morning. Wish Seneca was doing better... I'd fish right out Lodi for free... They never have anyone there... I imagine eventually their will be a computerized ticket maid there.

Weekend Lodi collects , check out Empire pass some time they go on sale for less money good deal if you fish or use state parks...... 

How the heck does the computerized thing work? I have the Empire Pass and when I launch at Deans I just park my vehicle in the parking area. Do they have someone physically checking vehicles?