Wanted: hybrid oak acorns

Does anyone have access to hybrid oak where they could collect acorns? I'm looking to propagate some hybrids this winter. I'm really interested in Schuette (Bur x Swamp White), but any hybrid that might have increased vigor relative to the parent strain would interest me (ie, Concordia is like the holy grail...) 

I want to stick with a local source, if possible, so that I know they're fit for this climate. Thanks in advance!

Typically seeds from a hybrid in an uncontrolled environment will not be true to type. Special type trees are usually the product of grafting.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

this is very true and also, offspring from hybrid trees or shrubs are no where near the original plant or tree. Usually are stunted, weak, and die from disease or insects

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the advice, but hybrid vigor in oaks is fairly well documented. There are a variety of reputable sources such as Oikos, Forest Keeling, etc...to obtain crosses, but I'd rather stay local. I am a geneticist by trade, so I'm aware of the risks and also the potential benefits. Since I will be propagating the trees myself, I can be selective, and it will be interesting to see what arises.

So--any sources with known or cultivated hybrids? The hard mast is low this year, but maybe I'll get lucky.

Gator

Highland park has the biggest collection of oaks that I've ever heard of, and there all free for the picking. A map of the different areas / species exist some where.

Its worth the trip, I frequently collect samples for a friend / professor at Paul Smiths. The oaks there are unbelievable in variety, and that is coming from a life long forester.

The only other place worth hunting down is Cornell - Pete Smallagie (sp ?). They have quite a collection as well but a lot harder to get in there.

Good luck

Steely

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks, Steely. I'll hunt down the map. I noticed a huge variety when we were driving there last week, but we were on our way somewhere and didn't stop. My wife says there's an entire section of park that gets overlooked. I can talk to Peter, too. I appreciate the advice.