Goose gun?

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask in.... I'm looking to get a new gun for goose hunting. Wondering if anybody has any input on witch guns are better than others. I'm willing to spend the money if it's worth it. I've seen guns from $300 to $2000.

Thank you in advance

Sent from my VS986 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Can't beat a Remington 870 express, have killed tons of birds with it, and never had it let me down!!! Have seen plenty of semis freeze up/lock up whatever you want to call it!! Besides you can buy a lot of shells for the price diff, or hell even a spare 870 if you wanted to!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Can't beat a Remington 870 express, have killed tons of birds with it, and never had it let me down!!! Have seen plenty of semis freeze up/lock up whatever you want to call it!! Besides you can buy a lot of shells for the price diff, or hell even a spare 870 if you wanted to!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

X2, I have 1100 Remington. Browning gold trigger, I forget the model# in a 10 gauge auto, not much problems with the 1100 a O ring on the receiver breaks every few years, which I have spares. The Browning even though it's gas operated it still kicks the shyt out of ya, but you can reach out there, it's not much ahead of the Remington 12 gauge 3 1/2". Not to mention the price of 10 gauge shells, and the gun itself was hellish expensive compared to the Remington 870 in the 3-3 1/2" 12guage Edited by pap

My 3.5 870 kicks the crap out of me. It does always fire unlike the autos but my buddies 10 double doesn't kick bad and it really reaches out there on the pass shooting days. Shells might be a bit more but he can take shots farther than me and he has to chase less cripples. Once I fire a second or third shot on a cripple his 10ga shells end up being cheaper.

870 is probably foolproof but the recoil using 3 or 31/2" shells is brutal. I shot an 1100 for years and tried an 11 87 supermag and the 1187 was junk until Remington replaced it with a new gun. Bought a Winchester SX3 and it just plain works. The Remingtons needed frequent cleaning and often hung up in cold weather while the Winchester just keeps shooting. It also handles 23/4', 3' and 31/2" shells which make it a very versatile gun with interchanging chocks. I've taken woodcock, grouse, rabbits, pigeons,duck, geese, turkey, pheasant, and sporting clays with it. Used it heavily for 4 years and had no breakdowns with only occasional cleaning. Personally I see no need for 10 gauge and generally shoot 3" rather than 31/2" shells and seem to do pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Just bought a new Winchester sxp pump for $350 at Dickson sporting goods. Took it out today goose Hunting with a full choke . Win xpert 3in # 3 shot . 20 to 50 yard shots . Love it so far. Sits nice to my face and light weight. Here's a pic

post-160085-14742118393023_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would stay away from a pump just because of the recoil factor, and there are many reputable companies that make quality autoloaders. A buddy of mine bought a 3.5" nova pump for goose hunting and that thing kicks the crap out of him to the point of significant bruising on his shoulder. I have a Benelli super black eagle and love it. Ice, snow, rain, it shoots every time.  The new ones have a recoil reduction stock that would be nice to have as well. But, like I said above their are quite a few quality goose guns out there now: Beretta, Benelli SBE II, Browning A5, Maxus, Remington Versa max, Franchi Affinity or Intensity, Winchester SX3. 

I personally don't care for autos. I've hunted in some of the most brutal conditions here in NY's January season, Rhode Island, and even St. Paul Island Alaska. I've seen 3 different auto guns freeze solid or rust shut in a matter of hours.... I personally shoot an 870 supermag... In early season it's not necessary to shoot 3.5's....but late Diver and Sea Duckin, I always shoot the bigger shells. Doesn't bother my shoulder anymore than shooting slugs.. An 870 is simple to take apart and is pretty much idiot proof.... Probably why I like it...lmao

Sent from my VS985 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 1/2" from a pump is probably similar to shooting slugs, uncomfortable in my opinion. I believe a quality auto properly maintained function fine even in frigid conditions. You definitely do need to keep them clean and use a light amount of the proper lube. I disagree that auto shooters flock shoot, you can do that with any type gun. I believe the lighter recoil allows me to recover more quickly for second and third shot. Bottom line is you need to know your gun and how to maintain it. With any type you choose the more you use it the better you will shoot it.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I use an over and under. Was tired of jamming autos no matter what i did, mostly late season.

The only draw back is not having the third shot, i rationalized its better than no shot, and ive grown fond of the overall shorter gun . My 870 pump never jammed .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I would stay away from a pump just because of the recoil factor, and there are many reputable companies that make quality autoloaders. A buddy of mine bought a 3.5" nova pump for goose hunting and that thing kicks the crap out of him to the point of significant bruising on his shoulder. I have a Benelli super black eagle and love it. Ice, snow, rain, it shoots every time.  The new ones have a recoil reduction stock that would be nice to have as well. But, like I said above their are quite a few quality goose guns out there now: Beretta, Benelli SBE II, Browning A5, Maxus, Remington Versa max, Franchi Affinity or Intensity, Winchester SX3. 

any of the guns mentioned will shoot better than you can. so pick one that fits, points well and you can afford. And go have some fun!