Whitetail food plots

Silver Fox

Tips, ideas, reviews, pictures, in the hardwoods, open fields or any other discussions about food plots. It's a big topic the last 5-10 years and it would be great to share some info.

I'll put some pics up and get you some details about mine soon.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Scott me personally haven't had any luck with that brand per say. I have done everything in order as for the round up, lime and the tilling. The brand I do have the best outcome with is Invite X. They can make a custom blend or just buy the blend they have pre mixed. Very weed hardy and some what shade tolerant to as my plots are in my woods. Actually the KBO guys turned me onto it when I was discussing my issues with other brands. They are on Facebook as well with reviews and testimony also. I am not mocking other brands just what works better for me in the woods

post-139635-14742040348351_thumb.jpgpost-139635-14742040489436_thumb.jpg7c63ac9507b7991b7faf4b22f7d629bc.jpg. These are pre planting pics of a spot I cleared out in the hardwoods. I planted a mix I can't remember, but it didn't come up well with the dry year and lack of sun. I cut down about 7 trees for more light, harrow dragged it and plated a clover mix with biologic last bite. It's staring to come up with little rain. The rain we got overnight should boom it. I have a ton of deer pics in this spot all summer even before my second planting. I'll get pics after it comes up soon.

Hey buddy, not the brand, I'm just talking about deer food plots in general. Good to know about your observations.

Yah figured that out after I posted. It's the fishing withdrawals and now hunting prep, stressed the hell out cause I am no where near ready.

Yep, it felt great to unwind the last couple weeks moving stands, planting some pear trees and doing my plot. Btw, my logging roads are planted with white Dutch clover and is doing great where there is sufficient sun.

my camp is in an area with a lot of agriculture (it has actually grown steadily in the 10 years I have owned the property).  

For me it seems like giving them a really good food source coming out of rut and into winter has made the biggest difference, especially if you have a lot of thick cover around..    The deer do not have to move a lot to get quality forage and are protected from some of the elements..

This year, I planted about 5 acres of brassica and purple top turnips...   the deer will start eating the turnips as soon as they start growing and it usually takes a couple of hard frosts before they hit the other brassicas.  

Since I have focused on this approach, our gun season yields have increased significantly, the number of quality bucks has increased and the overall deer size (body size) has increased as well.   I am certain some of this is the increase in agriculture, but I also believe that the quality winter forage is helping as well...

I am sure others have different views, but this is my approach...

BTW, the PTP will serve as a good hunting plot as well..   Shot a decent 8pt 2 years ago on 10/1 and he was crunching loudly on a turnip when I hit him good at 17 yards...  

Lastly, Turners Agway in Hemlock is a great place to buy fertilizer and seed..   It is my go to place and you can get seed for a fraction of the "big name" prepackaged brands..

I buy all my seeds and fertilizers from a crop center same as all the farmers do.

I get ladino clover for $7 to $8 a pound !

And get Triple 19 fertilizer for as low as $12.50 per 50 lb bags.

As far as lime I get from my local stone quarry for $11.00 a ton !!

The round up ready corn seed is pricey but worth it if no one has corn planted within 5 or 10 miles of your stand!! I have been food plotting for 10 yrs and plant a few acres atleast each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Triple 15 after its up and growing and dark green not lite green.

I always start all mine with triple19!!

If it is a clover plot 6/24/24 is the best for existing clover !!

You can use triple 19 anytime to start or increase growth !!

What's good about triple 19 is it don't take as many pounds of it to get great results. The lower numbers you will need more bags of to see good results. And be putting more junk in your soil you may or may not need.

Soil tests are great to.

Some bags of plot might say 300 pounds per acre of triple 13..

I would use a 150 pounds of triple 19 with great results. The Crop center guy turned me on to this way. Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hey Scott,

Awesome job on putting in the plots on the new property!! The clearing work you did from the fall looks superb!

Good luck this year - I'm thinking of putting in a plot in Darien at some point. I'll have to pick your brain in the future....

I can't tell from the pics where the location is on the old property, but the deer used to hit the area north and west of the ridge quite hard where it leveled off heading north.

Good luck bud,

Chris

Hey Chris, if you stand in the original clearing straight back and look south, it starts 50yds at 10 o'clock and goes just short of the pines. Getting a ton of pics. Ground cover has gotten much better since the logging last summer. I did a bunch of hinge cutting too. That original clearing is loaded with grass and white Dutch clover now. I'll find a pic of upfront where I cleared out for the camper.

Awesome stuff Scott!!!! It makes me so happy to see what you've done. It's crazy to see how the grass has come in!!! Looks great.

There are some big boys roaming out there - good luck this year and be safe.

TTYL,

Chris

I started doing food plots about 8 years ago and have learned a few things along the way like dont  cheap out on the lime do your soil test and buy.agg lime by the ton .If you soil ph is not right you are never going to be happy with your plots .Next you cant beet the weeds so you need to have 2 types of plots clover that you mow at least 3 times a year to control weeds and annuals that you plant in August i like daikon radish and oats .One note not all clover is the same sceance i have been using imperial white tail clover there has been bachelor groups  of bucks living on that plot when all i use to get were does and a small amount of young bucks .WORTH THE MONEY !

Any thoughts on a weed killer that can be sprayed over existing clover?

Both Slay and Arrest can be used on clover to control grasses and broadleaf's but it pricey. Can be found at most seed places or Cabela's and it does work well.