Fall perch

Blind Squirrel

I have never fished for perch on either of the big lakes, so I am wondering about when does the Irondequoit Bay perch fishing pick up for the fall? I picked up some perch rigs which I have also never used, but going to give it a shot.My grandson is a fishing nut so I hope to have some luck with him.

Should be starting up soon... my best strategy is just vertically jigging minnows on jig heads. I do best when the water temps drop

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the info, I was just looking back on last year and it had picked up about now,and I did see october is a bit better.I am just wondering if this year will be off because of the late spring and dry summer, I had talked to some that fish Erie and it was hot for a short time and shut down and never came back.It will be a learning experience so I am not expecting a lot I am just hoping for decent numbers my grandson is 8 and hope to keep him busy.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, I was just looking back on last year and it had picked up about now,and I did see october is a bit better.I am just wondering if this year will be off because of the late spring and dry summer, I had talked to some that fish Erie and it was hot for a short time and shut down and never came back.It will be a learning experience so I am not expecting a lot I am just hoping for decent numbers my grandson is 8 and hope to keep him busy.

All fishing has been sucky this year :/ ice fishing I'll probably be killer

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When that water temp hits the mid 60's they start coming in from the big lake. I usually start in Irondequoit and then work my way to Seneca or Keuka for the slobs. Minnows are your best bait til they school up thick then just need to drop shot them with jigs

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid I used to sell bait (crabs, bassbugs, Hellgramites and nightcrawlers) that I caught in the Canandaigua Outlet near Phelps NY. Hellgramites were the most difficult to get in numbers and they were the most expensive bait $1.25 per dozen (1954-1956 prices). The small mouth bass thought they were candy and luckily Hellgramites have tough almost rubbery skin so they stay on the hook real well so sometimes you could catch several bass on each one. I must admit when I heard the word Dobson above I was thinking bass bug kinda like a water borne grasshopper in shape and greenish brown in color)...never knew the technical name for them) not Hellgramite.

Edited by Sk8man

Frogger----funny--but true.

I heard that last year someone in Elmira was selling them for a buck apiece. How times ( and prices) change.

They ARE a tough critter. In a mornings fishing Keuka for perch and bass we usually only use three or four apiece. Bass will chew them up much faster than perch.

The have plastics Dobbies now.  I use the real thing most of the time but I have used the substitutes and they work good.  Live ones smell bad and i think that when you jabb them with a hook it lets all that scent out as fish attractant.

Frogger is right.  Blindly stick your hand into the bucket to get yourself one.  The best way.

Also, I heard $9 a dozen last year.  Is this true?

two ways to hook them one thru the collar ( last the longest )  the other thru the tail , swim like crazy but can hang up on rocky bottom easy. Wet burlap in layers keeps them the best but hard to find. Pretty easy to get with two guys a potato fork and net.  

We used to use sliding type window screens and have one kid disturb the bottom with his feet (in hip boots) and turn over rocks on the bottom that way and they would swim into the screen

We used to use sliding type window screens and have one kid disturb the bottom with his feet (in hip boots) and turn over rocks on the bottom that way and they would swim into the screen

I remember doing that with my uncle when I was a kid. If I remember right you can still do this as long as the stream doesn't have trout in them correct?

Sent from my XT1528 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The have plastics Dobbies now.  I use the real thing most of the time but I have used the substitutes and they work good.  Live ones smell bad and i think that when you jabb them with a hook it lets all that scent out as fish attractant.

Frogger is right.  Blindly stick your hand into the bucket to get yourself one.  The best way.

Also, I heard $9 a dozen last year.  Is this true?

BS,

Where can you find the plastic ones?

I have seen gulp ones just about everywhere.  They come in 1in and I think 3 inch.   The actual soft plastic ones I picked up at Bass Pro this year.  It was not a name brand I recognized or remember but they had different colors all the same shape.

You have options:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Hellgrammite/product/1305230801412/