Mercruiser 120 specs 1964- 72 Gm

FishingTheFL

Sometimes it pays to pause and rethink things Mike....and maybe cut losses and save up for a good used boat option.

Edited by Sk8man

Yep. Going to try to part it out... Not looking to spend another $1800 for the rebuild... Maybe if the motor would last 10 years but still looking at $700 for a manifold eventually and add an elbow at $250, that's almost another $1000... Never again but I learned something out of it all.... I get how motors work, before all I knew was they needed air fuel and spark.... More to it then that... To bad I didn't have all the tools to fix it, I'd just finish the project... No garage to work in and the cost of tools is close to the rebuild....guess the max HP is the nail in the coffin...

I tried to find info on plugging the hole and sticking an outboard on it but I couldn't find to much info on length of bracket, one article said it could be up to $4k for a bracket.

Sent from my XT1528 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great... Looking at the exploded version I cant see anything that looks like a small spring. Is it in one of the seals? No way to get low into the upper without taking the gears out... I heard that if that's the case buying a new upper is easier...

Edited by FishingTheFL

Trying to get the lower unit back on. Doesn't appear to be anything in the way after removing the spring( still can't find it in exploded version ), I turn the shift counter clock wise for forward and try to spin the prop to see if the drive shaft would move to align the splines, nothing. Prop shaft free spins, turn clock wise, same deal. I can't remember what we did early spring to get it to slide the last 1" or 2... Video I watched makes it look easy... Figure I'm missing lm something or I put something together wrong? Out drive worked before I played with it

Grease seal maybe ? Just a guess.

The spring points to a seal. What worries me is the fact that this seal is not doing what it is supposed to do and seals do not usually fall apart unless they are bone dry or have dry rot. That does not often happen if the part where the seal is was greased 

Not sure. I got it back together. I had to loosen up the housing some. Just snugged it down. I think your right tho because I bought a whole rebuild kit minus the gears this spring and didn't need them... If I recall maybe one seal had something like that in it. I haven't explored what's involved in that. I did find another 120. Hopefully its in better shape then mine. I have all brand new parts lol.

Its from one of the seals where the shaft slides into the upper unit. I must of damaged it trying to install the lower half. Watched a install of the seals, that's where the spring came from. Glad I found it this way rather on the water under way.... This week looks like a lot of rain so I'll be trying to start unhooking the motor pull it out.

There are 2 seals in the upper gear case where the lower unit shaft passes through the upper housing, one keeps the oil in the lower unit and the other is just above the lower designed to keep the water out, probably the spring from the upper seal, as that is definatly a seal tension spring

Edited by pap

Not sure. I got it back together. I had to loosen up the housing some. Just snugged it down. I think your right tho because I bought a whole rebuild kit minus the gears this spring and didn't need them... If I recall maybe one seal had something like that in it. I haven't explored what's involved in that. I did find another 120. Hopefully its in better shape then mine. I have all brand new parts lol.

did that phone number to the boat junk yard help in finding the 120 motor

post-158349-14768718418923_thumb.jpg

Found this one last night. Looks like no body knew how to do points and condenser on it, plus stringers are gone. Kid kept trying to drive the price up but told him he don't know what's involved, cost, or time for just the fiber glass, much less cost of manifolds and riser...the word stringer and riser probably threw him for a loop... Got the boat trailer and motor for $500. Boats going in the dump, trailer is up for sale if anyone needs a 16' trailer. Getting an alignment tool after work and switching them over the weekend. Hopefully with two motors and 2 out drives I can make it last.

Edited by FishingTheFL

Absolutely FL, you stole that deal get the power plant running in the old boat, even if you need to hang a gas line in a small container add the muffs cranker up watch the gauges if all looks good, put the whole deal right in place of yours. Bolt her up and good to go. You certainly needed a break to come in your direction!! Best of luck to ya! PAP

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1476871776661.jpg

Found this one last night. Looks like no body knew how to do points and condenser on it, plus stringers are gone. Kid kept trying to drive the price up but told him he don't know what's involved, cost, or time for just the fiber glass, much less cost of manifolds and riser...the word stringer and riser probably threw him for a loop... Got the boat trailer and motor for $500. Boats going in the dump, trailer is up for sale if anyone needs a 16' trailer. Getting an alignment tool after work and switching them over the weekend. Hopefully with two motors and 2 out drives I can make it last.

I hope you started this motor up and checked it all out before you shelled out 500 bucks .