Port Ontario

Planning on heading up Sat and launching out of Salmon River lighthouse. Will be my first time fishing out of this area. My question is the forecast doesn't look the greatest for a smaller boat (18ft). I'd like to fish the lake but to avoid a wasted trip I figured I could fish the salmon river right? I know they are catching fish out of the river now, how far down can I go in the boat? What's the trick in the river for catching them? Hopefully doesn't involve casting sponge on a big hook, like it does further down river.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

With an 18' you could launch at Pine Grove, about 1 mile south of Port Ontario. Not a fan of Port Ontario launch. As far as the river you can go up to rt 3 bridge with no problem, everything above that is DSR. Try running plugs, J's or flatfish or drifting skein.

im not sure,but i believe you can only have single hooks on any of your lures when fishing in the big river,so no trebles.might want to try oswego harbor if its to rough to get out of port ontario.

Edited by finsntins

With an 18' you could launch at Pine Grove, about 1 mile south of Port Ontario. Not a fan of Port Ontario launch. As far as the river you can go up to rt 3 bridge with no problem, everything above that is DSR. Try running plugs, J's or flatfish or drifting skein.

Your saying run plugs in the lake not the river right? What would I do if I was forced to fish in the river?

You could run plugs in river also or float skein/egg bags. You will see a lot of people fishing off the Rt 3 bridge, not much moving water from the bridge out for drifting though. Finsntins is right though about the hooks and Oswego Harbor as it's deeper and more room. A lot of fish still in lake.