Looking for advice setting up boat for trolling

Cletus

post-143384-0-62105500-1474855014_thumb.jpg post-143384-0-90894300-1474854699_thumb.jpg                                           

I recently purchased a 1989 Lund Pro-V 1700 with a Yamaha 50 hp motor. I need a fish finder and a kicker motor. I'd like to keep the fish finder under $400. It looks like I need a long shaft kicker motor. Any advice on make/model of fish finder and recommended hp of kicker would be appreciated. I will probably do most of my trolling in winter months out of Taughannock. Thank you ahead of time. Gary

Edited by Cletus

I have a 99 ProV 1775 tiller with a P60 Yamaha and a 8hp Yamaha long shaft kicker. My transom is different as it's cutout for a kicker on both sides so my kicker goes on at same height as my main. Think you will need a bracket to get a kicker mounted at the right height because your transom is full height except for where main motor mounts. My transom drops down at corner reinforcements. 8hp works fine-had a 9.9 on it before I moved that kicker to my other boat. Could take pics if it helps.

Thank you mr 580. I was hoping to get away with a long shaft kicker, but have now resolve myself to the idea of having to mount a kicker on a bracket and attaching it to a steering linkage. Any input you have to offer on bracket installation  and steering linkages will be appreciated. Thanks again, Gary

They do sell XL shaft motors. Some refer to them as "sail" motors. They have a 25" shaft and are common on sailboats. Most are between 8 and 15 HP.  I had a nice Yamaha 9.9 four stroke 25" motor that I used on a transom like yours. That said, I'll go with the others recommending an I pilot or Xi5 electric bowmount. That will let you troll any speed below 2 MPH. Over 2 MPH you can run your main motor and bowmount together. By doing that, you use the bowmount on a lower speed to take advantage of the auto pilot feature, and the main motor for the faster propulsion.

You are gonna need a Motor Bracket , Panther makes a good one! A 20" shaft (long) shaft is more than long enough, with that boat and a Panther mount a short 15" shaft outboard would work fine! As far as motor size , a 5-8 HP is plenty , and this will keep the weight down on transom also. As far as a fish finder for $400, there is quite a bit to choose from, I would recommend a side scan imaging as well as something with a GPS built in. Shop around , talk with others on their diffrent units.

Also agree on the I-pilot. Make sure shaft length is long enough so its not popping the prop out of the water in the waves. Noisy and annoying.  I use my kicker motor for thrust and follow contour/steer with the bow mount. Mine's a 12 volt on a group 30 battery if you're worried about space/weight and it does fine on a 19ft aluminum boat.

That set-up allows you to be away from the helm setting riggers, netting fish, etc.

Years ago I spent a lot of time trolling riggers on Oneida Lake. Best location for the depthfinder then?...on the back because that's where we were looking. Depends how you're fishing. Be sure to put it where you can easily see it. You'll want a mapping unit for sure, and that should  be on the helm. And if you're going to only have one that should take preference.

Final note...get the biggest screen you can afford. A 5 inch with split screen for chart and sonar is REALLY hard to see from any distance.