I would like some opinions on autopilots, pros,and cons, do I attach it to kicker motor or boat i/o. Thank you

Chillydog71

How is your boat configured?

Steering- Cable or Hydraulic?

power steering?

Kicker - Size? High Thrust? EZ Steer? Remote or Tiller controls?

On my Penn Yan 255 Intruder I have rotary cable with power steering and a Yamaha T9.9 kicker

I went with a Garmin TR-1 on the kicker for an auto pilot mainly because:

1- No power steering when main motor is not running and I

Didn't want to convert to hydraulic steering

2- Only needed an auto pilot when at trolling speed

3- Didn't want to mess with an EZ Steer rod

4- The TR-1 is very reliable, quiet, does excellent job of maintaining its course and can be controlled from the rear of the boat

I have been very happy with this set up. The kicker with the TR-1 works fantastic under most conditions. If the wind, waves and or currents are too strong for the kicker alone I will start up the main motor, drop in my trolling bags and use the kicker to fine tune my speed and still let the TR-1 control the boat. An added benefit to this is that the bags also help smooth out the ride a little.

If I didn't go with a TR-1 I would have converted to hydraulic steering for both the main and the kicker motor then gone with a Simrad, Raymarine or Garmin auto pilot. This is probably your best option if your willing to spend the money. An autopilot is one of the best investments you can make in your boat and I would hate to fish without one.

Best money I've ever spent on my boat is on my Tr-1!!! Love it!!  Current boat 22ft Pennyan I/O with 9.9 merc prokicker. Previous boat 24ft Lund Sportcabin with 9.9 yami. Had Tr-1 on Lund also. Its the only way to set up trolling rig under 25ft  IMHO.

• 3 months later...

Started with a EZ  Steer . then a Panther 100  which  hard to control over steer  , constantly pushing buttons . Switched to a Garmin TR-1 , Set it and forget it .Wife loves it , says its the best accessory I ever purchased for the boat . A must have for a crew of 2 .

Raymaeine and simrad both make a tiller pilot designed for sailboats. They also work on kickers and run well under $500. No gingerbread but will keep you on a straight line. Rays is the st1000 or 2000. Planning on adding one to my 19 ft this spring. Read about it on hull truth a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 6 months later...
Raymaeine and simrad both make a tiller pilot designed for sailboats. They also work on kickers and run well under $500. No gingerbread but will keep you on a straight line. Rays is the st1000 or 2000. Planning on adding one to my 19 ft this spring. Read about it on hull truth a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I installed the St 1000 a couple months ago. It works beautifully. Cost $363 and that inlcuded shipping. Just have to fabricate a couple brackets.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app