Last DEC Public meeting TONIGHT

Tom,  Please check into the Hatchery water reservoir being EXTREMELY low. I do believe the DEC was thrown a curve ball  VERY LATE in the game---YESTERDAY on this one by Brookfield energy(?) 

According to the flow rate website they are dropping the water level down to 185CFS. So there goes the 50% natural reproduction if they don't get rain ASAP.

Edited by salmonboy41

Brian:

When they showed a chart on Lake Trout abundance and when it showed major declines in the population they made the remark that when lampreys get out of their control is when these major downward spikes occur.  Stocking at current levels is probably fine as long as lamprey are in control.  The problem is rebuilding the breeding age and size population when the lampreys get out of control.  They site the lag time from stocking to maturity to  breeding age to be the reason they keep for the current levels.  

They also basically spelled out very clearly that there is a very large segment of people who support the native species restoration programs, not just lake trout but walleye and others) and we should be careful not to try to make it one sided the way of salmoniods.   Basically the native species restoration is going to continue and will trump our wants if push comes to shove.  That's why no matter what the alewife situation is,  if the lake trout trawls show the lake trout population get below there targets they will automatically restore the cuts they are making and more than likely increase stocking numbers of lakers.  Salmon on the other hand only get the stocking cut removed when certain conditions met with the big one being alewife numbers.

Edited by pvelyk

I'm one of the guys with "excuses" I work at a hospital with rotating 12 hr shifts. Without working I wouldn't have extra $1000's to spend on equipment,lures,licenses & launch fees.Fishing is NOT my livelihood & my participation in the fishery is strictly voluntary. I choOse to support the industry financially ,booking charters,entering tournaments,buying boats& fishing equipment. My purchases are made at various local shops,area hotels,& marinas.. So when I spend my hard earned $$$$, I choose to shop local for a reason. I can save $$$$ buying from big box stores online, with free shipping from the comfort of my own living room. I don't have sponsors to obtain free or discounted equipment which several of you do. I choose to shop the ASB's,Narbys,Fat Nancys,FLT's & Atommik to obtain quality equipment from someone I know has skin in the game. But my non attendance means " I shouldn't post" Did all you chest thumping Captains email your clients who put $$$$$ in your pocket all year & ask them to attend???? If so how many went or even replied???Did you email the no shows & tell them don't complain if your catch rate falls??? I know & respect several of the area captains from Oz to Wilson. But don't let your frustration lead you to believe that you are entitled to sit in judgment of "who is worthy"! You guys do much of the heavy lifting & spend the most time when it comes to projects & I understand that. But understand this, "YOU" have the most to gain & probably should do more than the average weekend warrior! I work as a medical professional & don't feel you need to volunteer to be able to say how you get treated at my hospital. I'm grateful you choose to bring your business to the institution that signs my check. I certainly don't tell them they shouldn't have any voice in improvement or changes in the future!!! Sorry for the rant but it just rubbed me the wrong way!

Edited by dmd113

dmd113

I never mentioned for anyone not to post (and I understand I wasn't necessarily being called out) but since I was and still am one who feels more attendance should take place I figured I'd respond on the subject.

All interest given to this fishery is appreciated to a great degree (by me anyway) and I understand perfectly for someone to drive several hours each way is a tall task to ask, however for several years to pass and anyone to have adorned the role "of not making even one meeting", I feel is truly shameful. Especially if you care for the quality fishery of our lake.

Between the many trips "some anglers" will make up here, to work on your boat, check on a cottage, or many other scenarios outside of actually fishing, to squeak into a meeting should me a given.

The monies spent as mentioned THANK YOU VERY MUCH, as without it we prolly would not be the fishery we truly are today.

IMO the importance of these meetings is over-looked, this by so many, these meetings should be packed, what is at stake in irreplaceable  

Tom 

If the DEC is worried about public outcry of lakers over kings and are threatening to merely increase the laker stocking if adult laker numbers drop due to overharvest, tournaments, lamprey etc. etc. I say fine........small lake trout eat gobies and sculpin and not alewife.  Cull the adults and create a younger population  that is safer to eat due to reduced contaminant load.....win win. 

Lake Trout only tournament end of March in Olcott.  Someone please make this happen.

Edited by Gill-T

dmd113

I never mentioned for anyone not to post (and I understand I wasn't necessarily being called out) but since I was and still am one who feels more attendance should take place I figured I'd respond on the subject.

All interest given to this fishery is appreciated to a great degree (by me anyway) and I understand perfectly for someone to drive several hours each way is a tall task to ask, however for several years to pass and anyone to have adorned the role "of not making even one meeting", I feel is truly shameful. Especially if you care for the quality fishery of our lake.

Between the many trips "some anglers" will make up here, to work on your boat, check on a cottage, or many other scenarios outside of actually fishing, to squeak into a meeting should me a given.

The monies spent as mentioned THANK YOU VERY MUCH, as without it we prolly would not be the fishery we truly are today.

IMO the importance of these meetings is over-looked, this by so many, these meetings should be packed, what is at stake in irreplaceable  

Tom 

My rant wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. One of my favorites Capt. Bob Songin was pissed last night & posted his displeasure online too.Some other captains have voiced displeasure with the turn out. I get it. But to make an off the cuff blanket statement like that is definitely out of frustration, was both unfair & inaccurate. I respect the job you professional fisherman do & appreciate all the help & information that is shared. I also feel that no one owes me a thing & vice versa! Again I will repeat my question. Did anyone who is complaining about the turn out who makes a living using this fishery bother to shoot an email to clients who put $$$ in their pockets this year??? I would dare to say NO! I fish the great lakes, saltwater & anywhere I have the good fortune to get an opportunity. I enjoy it to the fullest. But I pay to play! No one is "giving" me anything. The state takes tax revenues to spend on these projects. DEC  is not a volunteer operation, it is funded by the tax payer. So why someone  should think they should have anymore say than another is ridiculous.

I often feel or relate to guys/anglers who coincide with my particular situation, I am not a captain, do not run trips. Its my passion to chase these fish, sort of a unique situation. Yes, I bank on ALL that carry a similar passion to buy my product, and I do voice my opinions openly on 3 of my social media pages that carry some weight with upwards of 5000 followers. This the importance of our input to those making or having a part on decision making. So in a sense if you know me you should already know how I feel

Either way I'm hopeful a fire of any magnitude will be lit under our Bio's (who I ultimately respect) to feel an impact from us a anglers, to know we care about whats going on. For those who invest in our fishery from out of town and those close, to play that part is only aiding in your own vested interest. 

I often feel or relate to guys/anglers who coincide with my particular situation, I am not a captain, do not run trips. Its my passion to chase these fish, sort of a unique situation. Yes, I bank on ALL that carry a similar passion to buy my product, and I do voice my opinions openly on 3 of my social media pages that carry some weight with upwards of 5000 followers. This the importance of our input to those making or having a part on decision making. So in a sense if you know me you should already know how I feel

Either way I'm hopeful a fire of any magnitude will be lit under our Bio's (who I ultimately respect) to feel an impact from us a anglers, to know we care about whats going on. For those who invest in our fishery from out of town and those close, to play that part is only aiding in your own vested interest. 

I know you & am a fan of your products! Quality products from a quality operation. 

I was going to suggest maybe someone could bring a laptop into the meeting and show the support on here for what you guys represent for us all, to the official rule makers, and might help for those of us posting intrest here, but had REASONS why we can't possibly show our unknown faces...but not so much now. How dismal would the meeting turnout have been if not for this forum, and Jerry Feluca calling the lead on this site? Oh and yes, in the first page "Anyone who has ever posted to this subject and didn't attend should be ashamed!" Anyone? Really? There is good information buried in this thread somewhere but I think it got lost in the pile of finger pointers. ANYONE...includes me because I come here to read, sometimes post, to reports and all info on the state of the lake, not to be a scapegoat for the issues that cause frustration and insecurity to some, in the future of the fishery.

Please try to remember, the participation of the meeting is continued from here. I am a poster on these subjects, and not ashamed for not attending. I have been doing so from Atlanta GA , Mount Holly, NJ, Milwaukee, WI, and presently Cleveland, OH over the last few days. Have not been home for weeks. However, I am still here, and I feel informed, THANK YOU!

Thanks to this forum, and the parties who have attended and kept me, and all who have frequently view these threads, gainfully informed. Continue on! I for one commend those of you who COULD attend and show "physical" support!

Mark...concerned recreational fisherman.... truck driver, hauling paper to Quad Graphics to print your fishing magazines and...Victoria Secret!..Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by skipper19

This isn't my fishery, or Bob Songin's fishery. It's OUR fishery and it needs OUR help. Whether it's a DEC meeting or a pen project it's always the same old faces.

My rant wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. One of my favorites Capt. Bob Songin was pissed last night & posted his displeasure online too.Some other captains have voiced displeasure with the turn out. I get it. But to make an off the cuff blanket statement like that is definitely out of frustration, was both unfair & inaccurate. I respect the job you professional fisherman do & appreciate all the help & information that is shared. I also feel that no one owes me a thing & vice versa! Again I will repeat my question. Did anyone who is complaining about the turn out who makes a living using this fishery bother to shoot an email to clients who put $$$ in their pockets this year??? I would dare to say NO! I fish the great lakes, saltwater & anywhere I have the good fortune to get an opportunity. I enjoy it to the fullest. But I pay to play! No one is "giving" me anything. The state takes tax revenues to spend on these projects. DEC  is not a volunteer operation, it is funded by the tax payer. So why someone  should think they should have anymore say than another is ridiculous.

Well, if it's directed towards me I apologize if you took offense. I attend to 2/3 State of the Lake meetings each year and attend every DEC meeting on the fishery held locally so I can educate myself. It's the same people over and over at these meetings. Yet, on here we can get 20+ pages of rants on the DEC. I'd also like to point out that I am not a full time captain nor one who needs to fish for a living. My brother owns a landscape business and I have a good full time gig in wonderful corporate America. We do it for the love of fishing, showing people a great time while creating smiles, watching kids reel in the biggest fish of their life, and I could go on and on about why we do this. I guess I'm just tired of hearing everyone's comments on here, some that are ridiculous, and they cant make one DEC meeting or help at one of the many pen projects.

I was going to suggest maybe someone could bring a laptop into the meeting and show the support on here for what you guys represent for us all, to the official rule makers, and might help for those of us posting intrest here, but had REASONS why we can't possibly show our unknown faces...but not so much now. How dismal would the meeting turnout have been if not for this forum, and Jerry Feluca calling the lead on this site? Oh and yes, in the first page "Anyone who has ever posted to this subject and didn't attend should be ashamed!" Anyone? Really? There is good information buried in this thread somewhere but I think it got lost in the pile of finger pointers. ANYONE...includes me because I come here to read, sometimes post, to reports and all info on the state of the lake, not to be a scapegoat for the issues that cause frustration and insecurity to some, in the future of the fishery.
Please try to remember, the participation of the meeting is continued from here. I am a poster on these subjects, and not ashamed for not attending. I have been doing so from Atlanta GA , Mount Holly, NJ, Milwaukee, WI, and presently Cleveland, OH over the last few days. Have not been home for weeks. However, I am still here, and I feel informed, THANK YOU!
Thanks to this forum, and the parties who have attended and kept me, and all who have frequently view these threads, gainfully informed. Continue on! I for one commend those of you who COULD attend and show "physical" support!

Mark...concerned recreational fisherman.... truck driver, hauling paper to Quad Graphics to print your fishing magazines and...Victoria Secret!..Enjoy!

No need to show them anything as they lurk on here quite heavily from what I've found out. 

This isn't my fishery, or Bob Songin's fishery. It's OUR fishery and it needs OUR help. Whether it's a DEC meeting or a pen project it's always the same old faces.

Well, if it's directed towards me I apologize if you took offense. I attend to 2/3 State of the Lake meetings each year and attend every DEC meeting on the fishery held locally so I can educate myself. It's the same people over and over at these meetings. Yet, on here we can get 20+ pages of rants on the DEC. I'd also like to point out that I am not a full time captain nor one who needs to fish for a living. My brother owns a landscape business and I have a good full time gig in wonderful corporate America. We do it for the love of fishing, showing people a great time while creating smiles, watching kids reel in the biggest fish of their life, and I could go on and on about why we do this. I guess I'm just tired of hearing everyone's comments on here, some that are ridiculous, and they cant make one DEC meeting or help at one of the many pen projects.

No need to show them anything as they lurk on here quite heavily from what I've found out.

I don't know what the DEC lurks on here for, does anybody?.., and yes it is all our fishery. No argument there Rick. I represent possibly some of that lurking but what I have done is come away with GOOD info vs. BS. and have the intelligence to know how to filter it. A lot of us on here don't understand issues enough to contribute a lot to a meeting, but we are great full enough to have the voluntary efforts of you guys, who also being intelligent, and have way more hours of experience behind the sounders, and the helm, and the action going on the lake. I would hope that maybe my suggestion would target more pertinent input to the exact questions at hand, then to be grouped in with what the DEC might be looking for on here, which is totally unknown at this point. Maybe they see the division going on here too...BS vs Intelligence.

A thread that invited those of us to voice concerns or questions to be presented to the lawmakers would have been more beneficial than the DEC having to sort this out from here. Some of the questions could have been filtered out and the ones of most important issues that look like they agree with some of yours would be a great place to start.

Need a face to go with the questions? Do a selfie attach to....

Post your concern, open the laptop and field the questions to the meeting. Come back and give what you learned to us, you have self elected to represent a lot of us on here and we all respect that sacrifice. Please don't feel thankless Rick! take care my friend. Peace Bro...

Mark

While all this bantering is continuing, the "public comment period" is quietly drawing to a

close. Sept 30th is the deadline. Email comments to:  [email protected] 

So much misinformation floating around. This wasn't necessary when the movement started. Now, with an obviously huge alewife hatch and low warm water in the tribs it's simply wrong to consider at this time. The angling public is now removing Chinook faster than ever, evidenced by tiny returns to southshore harbors and streams. Additional Browns and Steelhead are not an option due to hatchery limitations.

If we aren't careful we will have massive alewife die offs on the beaches again. An excessive alewife population benefits only the sea gulls, leads to less healthy individual alewives, and certainly retards any native species restoration effort.   

Thank you Vince!....would have never known.... I will do the duty with hopes to bolster your very concerns!

I agree with all your comment above in its entirety concerning alewife population and favorable conditions that enhance the forage base and also increase the supply to meet the increased demand of the prime predators of the salmon...us...we the sportsmen and women of the waters of Lake Ontario.

Permission to copy and paste your above comments on this subject Captain Sir, and email to the address as indicated. ...With my signature. Thank you!

Mark

Edited by skipper19

My wife works for the corporate world in Rochester and from home. I see her do so many meeting online that I wonder if the Dec could save the money and the time driving all around the lake and do these meetings online where attendance would be through the roof. Maybe rick can answer this as I have no clue if this is even feasible. I'm just a dumb painter....lol

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

I honestly think Vince is correct in his assessment of the situation. Scott-  the computer/meeting approach has been done successfully by business for awhile now but unfortunately after nearly 34 years of working for the state I can tell you that they are not the most computer savvy folks even in terms of their main systems and the DEC has not even been able to put the fishing diary cooperator logs online let alone something more complicated :lol: . Most of the state computer system is very antiquated and for many reasons.

The DEC in the last few months did a webinar on Deer Management where you could participate on line or attend. I attended on line and was surprised how small the number was of people on line. To me way more deer hunters than trout/salmon fisherman. I didn't get to the Lockport meeting as I had a conflict. I usually attend State of the Lake meeting and am usually surprised with the small number of people there. If you can't go at least comment on line during the comment period. When I've commented I've generally had a response from the DEC. To me Steve LaPan has worked hard to get angler input and get info out. If you can attend these meetings it's well worth the time.

Agree!

I think sometimes we may take a lot of things for granted (e.g. the DEC) and don't fully appreciate the time and effort that goes into making this fishery what it is and still can be. I also regret not being at the meeting the other night but I am also grateful to the guys that went  (e.g. Rick, Jerry. and others) and for sharing your impressions with others on here and Vince for sharing his opinions which offer cogent alternative ways of thinking about these complex issues . I sincerely hope this all turns out right and that the lake gets back to a good balance. A good part of this will really reside with Mother Nature in the final analysis and hopefully she will cut us a break :)

Edited by Sk8man

I think sometimes we may take a lot of things for granted (e.g. the DEC) and don't fully appreciate the time and effort that goes into making this fishery what it is and still can be. I also regret not being at the meeting the other night but I am also grateful to the guys that went (e.g. Rick, Jerry. and others) and for sharing your impressions with others on here and Vince for sharing his opinions which offer cogent alternative ways of thinking about these complex issues . I sincerely hope this all turns out right and that the lake gets back to a good balance. A good part of this will really reside with Mother nature in the final analysis and hopefully she will cut us a break :)

Well said Les! In the meantime so some of the rest of us didn't get left out due to life constraints. Check in here...

Those who cannot attend a meeting can provide comments at [email protected] through October 14, 2016. For further information contact Steven LaPan, New York Great Lakes Fisheries Section Head at Cape Vincent Fisheries Research Station, (315) 654-2147.

Well the way I see it, my post got skipped, the third one down on page 2 where were these folks, they make a living off the results of what happens with Lady'O, plus I strongly believe a on line survey would flood the scene, even if it's just from this site because it's directed to anyone who belongs to LOU, the deer hunting vote might not have worked, because it wasn't directed to each and every hunter, where this is, but where were the mom & pop tackle shop, the local lure makers or anyone who's lively hood is made solely off what happens to the shape of the lake? Like Skipper stated some of us are 4 1/2 hrs or more away, and to dive 4-5 hrs to go to a meeting, that if the locals of the area and those who LakeO is there lively hood is who should be there with the most interest of what the hell is going on, right? or not?