Cayuga 9/29

lily

Fished today out of Myers got to the lake today around 0830 and motored across to T falls and set up on a North troll. Divers at 240 and 280 both on 2 setting and downriggers at 85 and 65 with spoons. Both riggers stacked 20 foot above the ball. Picked first fish up north of the boy scout camp and had fairly steady pick of small atlantic s through out the day. Picked up a to of short fish 12 to 15 inch and 1 atlantic that couldn't have been more than 8 inches. Divers had flasher fly combos and fished spoons on the riggers. Best water was 140 to 180. Moved away from the smaller fish between the plant and kidders and fished my way back to crowbar. Not happened with South troll Wich seems to be a normal thing for me. Not sure why. Had a good day was able to get 1 laker around 7 lbs and 3 other salmon in the 20 inch range that came home released countless other fish to swim and fight again someday. Hoping to get 1 more trip in before boat gets put up for the winter. Good luck out there be safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No down speed old school pay attention to rigger angle. Kind of limited though with going any slower boat wont idle down below 1000 rpm I am all ready dragging 4 buckets to slow me down to trolling speed. Tried 9.9 kicker yesterday and had same results as before. I caught some fish heading south but no where near as many as going north.

Do you have down speed ?  Speed for me has to be changed when I switch direction of troll to keep same speed at ball. Nice report.

South troll on the west side your going with the lake current.  You can see it in the spring run off.  The west side is usually clear and east side muddy.  Speed up on the south troll .

Edited by Big Dave

Thanks big Dave. This year has been a blast for me on the lake with the boat. I have caught fish on every outing except the 1 and only trip to Mexico. The boat has handled as good as could be expected. Planning on hopefully giving her a little face lift this winter if I can find a place to keep her inside. Hope you don't mind but would love to keep the boats name the same. Hear changing their names is bad luck. Loon feather. I even had a friend from the Adirondack s find me a loon feather and I keep it on the boat. Thanks again for the ride.

South troll on the west side your going with the lake current. You can see it in the spring run off. The west side is usually clear and east side muddy. Speed up on the south troll .

Gotta say it's just the opposite, the current in Cayuga current runs North the fish have their face into the current and are much easier to catch headed on a North troll because they see it coming. You can disagree but every time out of T- falls the mud line runs North. And every creek also follows the same, inlet on south end outlet North. Once in a while you will find a strong west- east current but not typical. Wind will roll in cooler water but overall s to n..

Thanks appreciate all advice that is given by folks on this site. I work too much and don't get out near as much as I would like to so I try to report on how I do when I do get to get out. Hope it helps some one as much as others have helped me.

Worked in Ithaca for about 15 years and took eastshore dr. to work everyday.  In the spring the run off went up the east shore headed north.   The west shore  from taughanock south was clean water headed south..  There is always a pile of sticks and logs headed north on the east side. up past the water plant.  Fish hawk works good to get the speed right.  Lily , I am glad your enjoying the boat.   I always caught a bunch of fish  on it..