I reckon someone has to represent Sodus Bay on this board, but someone who is a better fisherman should do it,...

Saturday was rather slow with only a juvenile king taken on a Mt. Dew Spin Doc w/a green Abe's Custom (Atomik) fly. I started deep and went deeper. Wound up in over 600fow to the NE of the chute. Did that because I looked at my friend's computer Fri. night and saw upwelling out that direction from a Michigan Sea Grant IR image taken ~10pm Friday night.

I never saw any colder surface temps out there, but my down temp at ~70' down were chilly at 46 - 47 deg.

Note to self: Don't buy a computer and never bother looking at it if you do. - Self

Sunday was a slightly better day out there. I learned my lesson to not go deep the day before, so targeted water less then 200'. Thinking the big kings are down deep I set the wire pretty far back, ~275. However, my favorite pattern to hate, red Fire Tiger (or, Fire Tiger of any sort for that matter), got slammed off my 'rigger down 56'. Hauled in a nice king. The boat was rocking too much to get an accurate weight, but it was somewhere between 21 and 25lbs.

Several other things on Sunday, steelies and more small kings. Nothing really worth posting 'cept that one king.

Sad to say it, but that NK28 red Fire Tiger/glow back got pretty torqued out of shape on that king. Probably got bent out of shape when it was trying to take my crew's eyeball out with it as it flopped on the floor. That guy has got eyeballs of steel apparently,...

So, it looks like I'll have to wear a disguise and sneak in the back door of Abe's Tackle Box and get another Fire Tiger. I hate those things. Why do they catch so many fish,.....

Pierless

(Neil)

Pierless, I fished Saturday also and did not do so hot either. We stayed between 125 and 200 fow for the entire morning. Had a nice King early in about 135 fow that shook the hook out. After that it was slow. Went 3 for 4 in the morning with all being relatively small. Did catch a nice domeestic stealhead which was cool to see.

Guest Cheers

That is an ugly spoon, but it has been good the last couple of weeks. That fish did want a piece of me. Fish were out of temp, we may have fished too deep too early. Neil,don't forget the die hard at Abe's.

Y'all,

Thanks for chiming in!

FuzzyG,

Nope, no "real" picture of the fish. My crew took one on his phone and sent it to my girl who was in Chicago at the time, but when she got home and I asked her to see it she had deleted it. Apparently she was not impressed,...

Penn Yan88,

Thanks for the moral support. I have been putting my time in on the water this year and I sure think it should pay off sometime soon. I like to imagine that that ~25lb king was just a "rehearsal" for the Fall Derby winner (ka-Ching!).

Do I call you on the radio out Sodus way as, "Penn Yan 88," or do you have another handle? I generally "surf" between 08 and 68, but don't talk unless spoken to (strict parents, which also explains some of my other habits), or if I recognize the "handle" of the folks chatting it up out there.

Cheers,

Oh, thanks for reminding me 'bout the Die-Hard. Now I've got at least a fabricated excuse when I'm in there for the 'Tiger; I'll just say, "Oh, gee, sorry, I didn't realize I had this red Fire Tiger in my hands - I musta moved it to get at this here Die-Hard,... Oh, I'll save you the work of putting it back on the shelf and just pay for it,..."

I feel better already!

Hmm, do you think they were out of temp? I'd say so too. Like you said though, they go out of temp to eat sometimes and he apparently was very hungry. Heck he was so hungry he even thought you looked scrumptious (which could become your new nick-name, by the way,... fish do seem to like you!)

One of the very most satisfying things about catching that king was that it was well over the line test. I was fishing 17lb. Anytime time you drag one aboard on lighter line than the fish weighs I'm impressed (but then again I'm still easily impressed by the fish in that lake, unlike my girl,...).

I'll be out there giving it heck again this weekend. See you out there!

Pierless

(Neil)

Toonfisher,

There are places to stay that don't charge an arm/leg for dockage. Let me know if you need a pointer on where. I'd offer my place, but my dock is shorter than my boat! I suppose one way to go is to dock "in town" at the bars. There is no charge there, but it'd be a nice gesture to buy some food/drinks wherever you dock up.

I see we're both cursed with a "command" for a name, eh?

Turp (whatever that means,...),

Well, you shoulda seen that king stand up and try to kiss him! Yeah, it still had the spoon in it's mouth and it looked like it was trying to KILL our buddy Cheers, but as he still can see through both eyes, it had to be more of a kiss. That king positively whacked that spoon, so I reckon if it wanted to do damage it'd have damaged Cheers.

By the way, I got to see the pic of him from your trip Thursday evening holding the Brown. I didn't know who it was, he was smiling, no way! Nice job coercing him into smiling. So, what was the joke you told him?

Pierless

(Neil)

Fuzzy ,hate to say it but i might guess 12 lbs maybe a tad lighter but kudos to you for a accurate pic, some actually hold there fish at arms length to make it look bigger so there reports seem a little better but we all know that trick. im gonna submite this and have a second look then if there is a big diff. ill post again.

FuzzyG,

I'll have to go w/Ray's assessment. I tried lifting my monitor and it weighed a lot more than 12lbs, but probably less than 20 (<-Ha!).

One thing I have found is that fish are quite deceiving in their weight until you start landing the big ones frequently. As I am not in that class of fishermen, I defer to Ray's judgment.

It is a nice fish though!

We were at Abe's yesterday afternoon and saw a 30+lb'er that was caught in Olcott (I think). That was a really big fish to look at in the cooler and now my girl is afraid to pick up the wire line again. She landed her 1st wire fish on Saturday, but it was only ~4lbs. She wheeled it in in about 5 minutes and said that she was sore and that the rod butt hurt her belly. The woman that caught the 30lb'er said she fought it for 45 minutes and at one time had over 600' of wire out. That made my girl say, "If that drag starts screaming, it's your fish!"

I'm "cruising" for the next two weekends, so I won't be 'round the 'Point fishing much. However, I am thinking that I can bring that wire rod along and slow down the cruising speed for a bit out in that 800' water and see what happens!

Stay Out of the Hot Sun!

Pierless

(Neil)

Pierless,

A bunch of us are usually on ch9 as well. I won't be up this weekend, but should be up most weekends the rest of the year. We find by teaming up (one person goes deep, the other shallow) we tend to find and catch more fish and help eachother out!

Nick

Toonfisher,

I was making a play on words,... names, actually.

Yeah, let me know what you'd like to know about where to dock up at Sodus, I'll do what I can. I get notices by e-mail of pm's so feel free to pm me if you like.

Penn Yan 88,

Thanks for your "handle" I'll give you a call next time I'm out. Hey, at least you were in the Pro-Am. I was too chicken!

Bob's Boy,

Hey! Nice of you to chime in too. I will give you a call also. I think I have heard "Bob's Boy" called over the radio, yes? If so, that's what I'll use to call you. If not, please correct me. I'm usually here and there; it depends on who I have on my boat. An orchestrated attack on locating the fish sounds like it makes a lot of sense to me!

All,

As I mentioned a few posts above, I'll be cruising the next two weekends and so I won't be thrashing the water up locally. After that it's "tune-up" time for the Fall LOC Derby.

I'm glad I wrote something, as Sodus was sorely under represented on this site. Probably just a bunch of folks like me who reckon they have little to say of any import (which I have proven in this thread several times already,...). However, with a few handles to call and a "search and destroy" plan suggested by Bob's Boy I think it paid off!

I'll be hailing you all in a couple of weeks. 'Till then, Tight Lines!

Pierless

(Neil)