It is not that simple. During this time of year when the lake may be warm or freezing ,dependent on the wind, it is important to fish in front of a creek that flows strong enough to attract browns planning to spawn and creates some scum lines in the water which are marking vertical temperature differences. I get most of my fish in 40 to 50 feet at about 35 down. As the season advances the larger browns will go into streams while the smaller ones will stay in the lake. It is important to release these 2 or 3 pounders so they can become 12 pounders. Most of my catches are on scorpions

rolmops:  What is a Scorpion? 

Some of the new stuff is unfamiliar to me.

I like to use stick baits in spring and  in close [10 to 20fow]

Dr W

A successful alternative method to trolling, is just drifting and casting.  When the water is gin clear, I do much better just drifting across rocky points, structure, or creek mouths (if they are flowing).  Just position your boat well up wind, turn the motor off well upwind and far away from your target fishing area.....and just drift and cast.  Doesnt really matter what you choose to use, plugs, spoons, whatever.  My favorites are white rooster tail spinners, and white mister twister on a light jig head.  

When the water is gin clear, and you are fishing near shore....I much prefer just drifting and casting to trolling.  The motor, trolling, planer board presence thing is not always the best method when fishing near shore.The trolling and motor/planer board set up spooks and scatters the fish when the water is crystal clear.

Give it a try, you will be surprised..   If your a fly fisherman, casting large streamers works really good as well.  Give it a try, trolling is not always the best weapon of choice.  Good Luck!  

• 3 weeks later...

I see many fishermen catching fish with the nylon nets and many throwing them back and not reviving them before they swim off.I use a rubber net and make sure they are breathing good before I let them swim off.Quality for me is better than quantity knowing the fish is going to survive.In years past ive deen hundreds of dead fish that would have survived if handled properly.

I see many fishermen catching fish with the nylon nets and many throwing them back and not reviving them before they swim off.I use a rubber net and make sure they are breathing good before I let them swim off.Quality for me is better than quantity knowing the fish is going to survive.In years past ive deen hundreds of dead fish that would have survived if handled properly.

Couldn't agree with you more here. It's like that on Erie too in the fall along creek mouths. Whenever I catch Salmonids, trolling of drifting, 10 FOW or 550 FOW, I always take at least 3-5 minutes holding them in the water before the release. Certain species seem tougher than others, Lake Trout are usually trying to drag me in with them within 30-60 seconds whereas steelhead swim away slow but stable after 4-5 minutes or longer, but eventually they all go back down if handled correctly (as in, netted, unhooked in the water, quickly measure length and girth, hold the fish correctly by the caudal peduncle and under the stomach horizontally for some quick pictures, revive, and release). The two biggest detriments to be health of these fish are too long out of the water and improper handling. If you're going to C&R, that is.

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2016 at 4:20 PM, john1947 said:

Yeah, it's a shame to see. Someone needs to educate these people.

Edited by parkit

• 4 years later...