Cabelas aquired by Bass Pro!

For the fishing sales, I believe there will be a better selection now at Cabelas. The purchasing people were dominated by Nebraska people who had a weaker knowledge of New York's wants. We received what they thought we should use. Also local manufacturers were not accepted as large enough suppliers to supply all of the stores. The Burlington store next door will

Close at the end of its lease and maybe Cabelas will expand its footprint in the area. Will Cabelas have golf equipment? That is going to be a tough one.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Who on here has a Cabelas credit card with the points? I have a nice sum of points which equals a nice sum in Cabelas in store money?? Maybe go shopping quick. Last night on the news they claimed Bass Pro bought Cabelas for X amount of $$$ .

It might be a good thing between the 2. The thing I noticed is that Cabekas was set up more for the hunting side and Bass Pro was more fishing related. Now Cabelas owns a lot of property which they lease out for hunting and also has a number of guides who work on much of the land in the Midwest. I know they have property here in NY as well as a buddy is a outfitter for them and hasn't been told anything pertaining to his duties or what not. It's early yet but for $5.5 billion that is a big chunk of change to make up so I wouldn't be surprised to see items go up in price as well being they are pretty much monopolizing the national market with this merger. Who knows but I hope it doesn't sacrafice quality and service. Also have to consider the marine side to cause there are 2 major brands involved Nitro and Ranger. Gonna be interesting as the details come out for sure.

Who on here has a Cabelas credit card with the points? I have a nice sum of points which equals a nice sum in Cabelas in store money?? Maybe go shopping quick. Last night on the news they claimed Bass Pro bought Cabelas for X amount of $$$ .

I had one if I was close to a store I may still have it. I went to a amazon card good for points on most every thing. 

I think the merger is a good thing. Both companies were feeling the effects of an increasingly online consumer. The transaction was $5.5B but BassPro now owns 180 stores in the US and Canada, employs 40,000 people, and controls 20% of the hunting/fishing/camping industry that is worth $50B. Their ability to buy at lower costs has just improved and im sure they will be committed to gaining even more market share. Quality product offering and pricing will be mission critical in doing so. What i thought was interesting is that BassPro is still privately held. Big company- especially now.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by EsoxAC3

The Cabela's Hamburg store is only 45 min away, a little to convenient, LOL and a Bass Pro about 1 1/2 hrs away, Cabela's has a lot more stuff for the trollers and a great amount of stuff for the walleye fisherman. Where Bass Pro carries NortLand products, I prefer Cabela's over Bass Pro but that's me. I would imagine differant species of fish would pull one way or another. I was in both more than my wife knows!! Shhhhh!! Cabela's is way more oriented towards the deep water and fresh and some salt water. They also have there own brand of lures, that look as good as the main brand but a lot less money, but that's why the old saying, "you only get what ya pay for" stands true as far as Cabela's brand hard bodies baits are terrible, also Cabela's makes you think your getting a good price on any of their products, well that's not the case with everything, I buy most of my hard body baits at our local bait shop as they are up to a dollar less than the big box stores. I really don't know what to think with the two merging together. The last time I was in Cabela's you could tell something was up the shelves were bare, I asked a rep in the store what's up you have nothing, he said management only wants 35% of what's in the catalog. Well I might as well order it off the main store in Nebraska. With that said I'll use the mom & pop shops, at least they carry what good for the area waters.

You will get whatever they shove down our throats and willing to swallow. Watch the price of sporting goods go up and selection go down. This was not a good thing.

X2 its like any other merger/buyout. Just look at the Airlines or lack of them and what happened to there pricing and services. After buying a overpriced ticket you get to pay extra 25.00 per luggage bag and there "meal" on a 5 hour flight is a bag of pretzels and can of pop. Just look at your cable bill to see merger 101 in action.

No worries. I read that Bass Pro will honor Cabela's points.

Edited by MikeyP

What I think will happen is that the stores will become more generic and this sounds bad at first but I also believe this will open a lot of opportunities for small time entrepeneurs to fill special niche voids.  Bass Pro carries one thing that I only get at Bass Pro and Cabelas carries one thing that I only get at Cabelas.  Everything else I have found elsewhere.  Amazon is being smart in realizing it can be the conduit between manufacturer and consumer without an outfitter inbetween.  I think other online outlets will also become more popular regardless of what big box stores do.

What I find really disturbing is that the stores becoming more generic means when you make a special trip and they do not have an item you want to look at carefully before purchasing  you wonder why they even bother having a store in the first place.  Been burned by Auburn several times.

I am not going to lose sleep over it.

What I find really disturbing is that the stores becoming more generic means when you make a special trip and they do not have an item you want to look at carefully before purchasing  you wonder why they even bother having a store in the first place.  Been burned by Auburn several times

This is so how many time did Hamburg store advertise specials, that never existed!! I've had this happen twice, but I didn't get as pizzed as the guy along side of me did!! They advertised that they had the 17 mag on sale till there gone, open at 8:am, we left my house at 6:am 1 other car in the parking lot. Now this is the Hamburg store only this other guy came from Delaware and we were after the same gun, well I left the guy go first. 8:am they opened up and the 3 of us marched back in the gun area, nobody there, waited 10 minutes patiantly 3 more not so mean while there guys stocking shelves, finally we get someone to notice us. They guy said I want to buy the new 17 mag that's on sale, make a long story short, they didn't have any!! Maybe they ment the 17hmr I don't know but they wouldn't rain check us, give a $25 voucher let alone a $50 the other guy insisted they give him for his efforts to get to the store, he said I figured it would be 1 gun now were out but none!! You gotta be F'n kidding me none!!! I have gone down for Spro swivels notta. Fluro line ya the $45 for 20 yards, no North Land harness making floats, so ya I've made a few lost cause trips. Till I started calling with my list and it always seemed what I wanted most they didn't have. They advertise they carry Macks smile blades and carry their line of products, well if you call 3 rows of Macks 1" black blades, carrying Macks full line of products?? Like B.S. Says if you want to see before you buy and you go there and you see nothing, that really grinds my gears!!

Mega mergers= monopoly in my book. Don't look for better pricing on their goods....kinda like Time Warner-Brighthouse issue. Consumers seldom benefit from these things....all about their bottom line not ours.

Edited by Sk8man

No worries. I prefer field & stream. Then again I don't own a charter either & f&s may not meet ALL your boating needs. This store meets my needs. And probably the needs for most outdoorsman in all fields. Besides they have reasonable prices as well, for the most part. Im sure competition may keep basspro/cabelas honest. They will get my money anytime.