what is this

bluefin 16

Hunting Saturday morning, I took a nice Doe for the freezer and when got it home and started to cut it up I noticed the back straps had almost translucent sections running through it. It was kind of tough and void of color. It was not fat either. I took this picture and ask around, even a guy who butchers deer this time of year,and nobody knew what it was but everybody agreed I shouldn't eat it. Not wanting to get sick threw it out, hated to waste an animal but I am not going to put my family at risk. Now I wish I had given it to the dec. I wasn't worried about getting a new tag because I never use them all anyway, I only shoot 2 at most , we just don't eat more than that, but I am curious what it was and maybe they could have helped. Does anyone have any ideas what it could have been.

post-159790-0-69039900-1475545818_thumb.jpg

Parasite appears to be possible Culprit..... Think tossing it was the right move.

Parelaphostrongylus

a genus in the worm family Protostrongylidae.

Parelaphostrongylus andersoni found in the musculature, especially in the longissimus dorsi [Outer Tender Loin] in white-tailed deer.

Parelaphostrongylus odocoilei found in connective tissue around blood vessels and lymphatics of musculature below the vertebral column, abdomen and proximal parts of the limbs in mule and black-tailed deer and moose.

Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary, 3 ed. [emoji767] 2007 Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by EsoxAC3