need help to mount riggers on Trophy 2002

Hi,

Just received my gimbal mount to fit my 1106 Scotty riggers in the rod holders.....Not sure it is a good idea. First I would have to cut the gimbal pipes by 1" to sit the base properly and I have the feeling that this set-up will not be strong enough to support the pressure. I've heard about bad experiences with gimbal causing stress cracks in the fiberglass around the rod holders. I am between 2 chairs now and dont know if I should go with this alternative or fixed mounts.

Also, not sure of the best place to mount them. If I go with fixed bolted mounts, the easiest place looks to be right in the rear corners but is this would work well ergonomically in fishing situation.

Would like to get some feedbacks and pictures of Trophy owners DR set-up.

thanks

Nelina

Nelina

I have a trophy 1802 and mounted my mag 10 cannons right on the corners the wood and fiberglass is very thick there I also put large SS fender washers on the bottom of the bolts. I have no problem rigging them there I either leave the jump seats in place and kneel on them when I rig or remove them for the day and have direct access to them. I run 13 lb torpedo weights with the 50 plus inch booms extended and they seem very solid so far.

I agree with Gene. I had bought the Gimbal mounts for my 1802 and sent them back. The paperwork with the mounts said don't run them to the side, only straight back. I ended up putting 12 inch track systems on both back corners, and they're great. Easily removable and reconfigurable. I talked to a trophy rep once, and he told me the boat is made for fishing and any area where the antiskid is, it is reinforced and you can mount directly to that. Of course use some common sense with backing washers and maybe a plate.

Thanks Gene,

How do you work the riggers from the corners when used with some dipsy rods ? are you pointing the riggers back or sides ? Do you use existing rod holders for the dipsys ? I'm trying to figure if I would need to buy extra holders that will be directed to the sides to make the divers out in my pattern.(the 4 trophy holders are all directed at the back)

Nelina,

I have a Trophy 2152 and I mounted my two riggers about 6 inches medially from the corners on the transom. I have Big Jons on swivel bases with permanent 4 foot booms (they don't telescope) and most of the time we run them as boom riggers out to the sides. Then I have two Big Jon heavy duty Dipsy rod holders (single holders) and a Big Jon double mounted on each of the gunwales. The Dipsy furthest to the stern is about 10 inches from the transom and each of the other two are spaced about 10 inches apart. We run a 9 1/2 Dipsy wire on the rear holder and a 10 1/2 Dipsy on the other whenever we run two Dipsy's per side. The only drawback is I had to drill a lot of holes to mount everything and they don't slide like a track system, but the access below the gunwales is great and makes it an easy installation.

I've never used gimball mounts before so I can't comment on them, but it seems like a lot of torque could be place on them and you'd get cracks or alot of "play" from them being loose.

I can send you a pic if you'd like of the spread.

Good luck,

- Chris

Nelina

I use 10' dipsy wire rods and I can get them out with the booms pointed out to the side. If it is rough out there sometimes I will point one back until I get the dipsy out. If I run 2 dipsys per side I would keep them pointed at a 45 deg set. I run a track type rod holder that I can put up to 3 holders on per side I would definitely recommend a track style rod holder set up. I ordered these Holders as gimbal style mounts but did not like them so I removed the gimbals and covered the hole with Stainless plate and mounted the tracks right over the covered holes these where mounted to my aluminum combs. I hope this helps. Where are you located maybe we could hook up and I could show you how it is set up or If I get some time I will take some pics and post them let me know.

Thanks folks,

All these infos will be very helpful.

Gene, I live in Quebec but I am pretty familiar with your area as far as been fishing almost all creeks and rivers for steelies since 1986. Especially the North Sandy and the upper Salmon R. Like to fish in the Mill creek at Sacket Harbour also.

I think I'll go for plates on the corners + 2 outside 10 footers dipsy rods. 4 rods is enough for me :) I will fish offshore of Bowmanville in August for my first lake trip.