Did anybody use a black box and not like it? Why? I'm just reading about these and I'm new to riggers. I'm thinking about trying this next year. Not really sure how it all works but, it basically just puts electricity on your downrigger cables. Can it be rigged to my 2 Downriggers and 2 wire dipsy rods? Has anybody rigged them to dipsy wire?

• 2 weeks later...

I have one a my boat. I had it wired to the two back DR's. You have be careful with the spring coils that feed the DR cables.

Wrapped and crushed the coil when doing a fast

retrieval.

I never tried it on Dipsy rods...you wouldn't

want to use the spring coil. After mine broke off, I just wrapped the bare wire around the DR

cable.

You need to check the readings at the DR cable

while its in the water away from the docks/launch with a meter. Did it help catch fish??? Who

knows. Cannon has a similar system on their DR's.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MrMike

• 2 weeks later...

All a black box is designed to do is prevent the wrong charge going down the riggers. Before you spend your money go on the Scotty website and it will give you direction on how to check the charge on your rigger. Scotty were the originators of the Black Box. It is not designed to attract fish but to prevent the wrong charge that will spook the fish.  

The Scotty, pro troll, and the Cabellas brand say they "attract" fish. Says you need different voltage for different fish, and the new Scotty digital has pulse mode to trigger strikes. So, since they recommend different voltage for different fish and since I fish for all those fish I figured it might be worth a try. And the cheaper ones cost less then a tank of fuel it might be worth a try, or at least a thought. Regardless of what my boat puts out now. It isn't ideal for all species. And if pulse mode triggers 10% more strikes on staging kings it would be a no brained must have item for me.