Off shore snap weights

I'm a budget fisherman with 19 ft boat. I've been throwing around the idea to get my board lures deeper. I've never messed with copper and had bad experiences with led core in the early 80's on my uncles boat. I'm looking for when the Browns are deeper and there is no color/mud lines near shore and no fish on finder. I have 2 manual riggers that I stack and was wonderful night if the snap weight would be worth investing in or would they just scare away the fish? I could run double the amount of rods and cover more water where I'm marking fish. I never had luck with lure that dive over 12 to 15 feet and I hit browns in 35 to 50 flow. Anybody try snap weights on there boards?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Snap weights are a big part of my brown program, I use from 1/2 oz up to and including home made 10 oz. in my opinion they are more stealthier than dipsy divers. I can place the weights anywhere on the line 10 ft to 100 ft. From the lure. Slide divers work fine but I have lost too many to ever pursue that presentation again. If your running multiple lines off the same board I always run the same weight and same leads, good luck with whatever way you choose!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have used dispys but only ever caught 3 Browns with them. I would like to invest in slide divers and 10 ft rods with 40lb power. I feel that the dispys spook the fish. With the slide diver 50ft in front of lure would be better. I have luck with dispys for kings. Off shore kit $50 and use the rods,reels I have now or spend $400+ for new rods,reels, line,slide divers and o rings.

I like the options snap weights offer behind boards.  Distance from bait, quick change of weight size.

I have no interest in this company, Franks Great Outdoors usually has the red snaps with pin, the snap weight models, for around four and a half bucks when purchased 10 at a time.  Do yourself a favor and just buy 20.

I use them this time of year for rainbows.  2 oz, 100 foot out, orange and gold spoon behind boards.  I could do the same thing with lead core, I just don't see any advantage.

I personally love the term 'hypnotic effect' lead core has on fish.  I am old enough to have watched Ed Sullivan, I love magic and hypnotist shows.  I have never seen any fish hypnotized.  

I use the red offshore clips as well with all weights up to 12oz. I use 6oz most often. I bought several 6,8,12 oz tear drop with eyelet weights off EBay from a guy that makes them. Seems to be the best prices there. I started off by buying the Offshore snap weight kit at Franks Great Outdoors. Includes several sizes and I keep adding to the collection. I use the lighter weights behind boards and the heavier ones I keep close to the boat or directly behind. I use them the most with stick baits, to give them some extra depth and also with small spoons and fly/dodger combos when targeting rainbow. I still run my larger spoons off the riggers.

The Krazywolf releases appear to be a copy of the Offshore. You can buy similar ones on EBay direct from China. Yes, Offshore are expensive - but they are better than the copies out there and you have to shop around for the best deal. There are some stores and sellers asking way too much for the Offshore, while others are fair. All mine are Offshore.

LakerTaker how much weight are you using to get a dodger/ fly down? How deep?What size dodger? 00? How much blow back when running behind the boat? Are you running it down the shoot like a dispys?

I'm targeting inland lake steelhead. In 80 to 120 feet of water. The fish are generally suspended higher up in the water column, so they could be anywhere from 30 to 50ft. I use Poseidon mini flies....they have one called the Steelie Stomper. With a size 00 orange Luhr Jensen dodger. I run them straight off the side of the boat with a 6oz teardrop weight hooked to my line with an Offshore snap. I vary the line distances to experiment. I run crank baits off the back. Anything orange with an added snap weight (3oz). Had good success this summer with Salmo lures (orange/gold). I have a 16ft deck boat, it's wide and very stable.

LakerTaker how much weight are you using to get a dodger/ fly down? How deep?What size dodger? 00? How much blow back when running behind the boat? Are you running it down the shoot like a dispys?

I'm targeting inland lake steelhead (rainbows). In 80 to 120 feet of water. The fish are generally suspended higher up in the water column, so they could be anywhere from 30 to 50ft. I use Poseidon mini flies....they have one called the Steelie Stomper. With a size 00 orange Luhr Jensen dodger. I run them straight off the side of the boat with a 6oz teardrop weight hooked to my line with an Offshore snap. I vary the line distances to experiment. I run crank baits off the back. Anything orange with an added snap weight (3oz). Had good success this summer with Salmo lures (orange/gold). I have a 16ft deck boat, it's wide and very stable.

Edited by LakerTaker