Russian snaggers

Gill-T

The poachers get big bucks for the eggs on the black market. Not for bait but for human consumption. That is where the authorities need to concentrate their efforts in order to make a difference. If they have no place to sell them, they would not be poaching them.

I don't know if they would be able to make a difference that way. Just like trying to control drug trafficking.

Edited by muskiedreams

Problems not just the DEC the courts are the real issue, at least in Monroe County.  DEC officer answered questions a few years ago a the GCBA meeting and he said all the tickets they wrote for stream issues, not one got a conviction.  I get the DEC officers mindset of why write a ticket if it just going to be ignored.  Problem is the same courts that deal with rapist, murders and other physical assault type crimes also deal with these tickets.  Most judges just don't care about a snaggers or someone keeping five fish over their limit when the next guy on the docket murdered somebody.  They need to separate the courts, I would love to see the DEC tickets have a court similar to traffic court.  That way the court just deals with these cases and they don'y get lost in the sea other crimes.

Oh yeah, and once hunting season starts, guns pretty much trump rods manpower wise.

Edited by pvelyk

The way I see it most New York is left in the wind for problems that occur in this state. All tge time, energy, and money goes to that SCUM hole city know as NYC! Separate the state from that city and alot of the problems that occur can be addressed since the founding from taxes could cover it rather then going east to keep that hole up and running!! That's where the real problem is when it comes down to having officers available and money to punish for these kinds of things. Hell we could probably have a road or to fixed also.

In Lake Ontario and the tribs, we have the finest salmonid fishery in the country, but for whatever reason, we (New York State) do not treat it that way. If this kind of BS took place in Montana / Wyoming / Idaho / Alaska..... someplace with a REAL enforcement and punishment system...... these violations would be minimized. I've stood on the Driving Park bridge next to a Conservation Officer with binoculars watching salmon snaggers at work. He would not go down into the gorge. Out of fear, or frustration, or whatever.... he would not go enforce the laws he was watching being broken. When I pressed him for a response, he mentioned that he was responsible for patrolling from Niagara County to Monroe county, and more or less used "coverage" as an excuse..... but in my mind, on that day, he stood there, watching criminal activities and choose to do nothing. If Team Green could care less, do you really expect the guy in the video to have any respect for the law? That event was years ago. In todays' digital world, I'm sure the CO  wouldn't even go stand on the bridge to look....too many cell phones watching. 

When the local businesses in Pulaski, and surrounding areas, stand up and back a WORLD CLASS resource rather than lining their pockets with $$$$ we might see a change in this unethical fishing. Until then nothing will change.

Businesses and Anglers NEED to drown the DEC with concerns over this unethical behavior for them to do anything about it in my opinion. The officers salaries would be paid with the fines they would collect. On a river with that much fishable water there should be an officer for each mile throughout the Salmon season. This would force people to fish more ethically, and deter some from even coming up. 

The businesses selling the gear these people are using is another problem. You don't need the monster hooks and shark rods with twine spooled on the reel. 

When the local businesses in Pulaski, and surrounding areas, stand up and back a WORLD CLASS resource rather than lining their pockets with $$$$ we might see a change in this unethical fishing. Until then nothing will change.

Businesses and Anglers NEED to drown the DEC with concerns over this unethical behavior for them to do anything about it in my opinion. The officers salaries would be paid with the fines they would collect. On a river with that much fishable water there should be an officer for each mile throughout the Salmon season. This would force people to fish more ethically, and deter some from even coming up. 

The businesses selling the gear these people are using is another problem. You don't need the monster hooks and shark rods with twine spooled on the reel. 

I will be bringing it up at the state of the lake meeting this spring. 

I caught a nice one out of the estuary with a jointed rapala last week but it was the only hookup of the morning besides two other missed hits.  I didn't think to jig using 30 lb braid and an 8' leader.  30 years ago that was a great technique.  Gotta love social media and the educational material that people videotape and share....

I asked my son in law about the Russian barrage of snagging, also a co worker who both recently witnessed the activity, blatant snagging and throwing the fish on stringers, tasting of eggs stream side to be sold. I didn't know it was that prevalent, enforcement by DEC should include forfeiture of equipment on the spot, including vehicles holding these fish to be sold later. World Class fishery treated like trash, mind boggling.

It is the same here on the Delaware during the shad run in the spring. It seems if you are a white American you are going to get a citation for any abuse. If you are anything else on the long list of immigrants and non english speaking  you are golden. Maybe that's the case in NY, too. sounds racist I know, but I can't explain it any other way.

I have the eco's cell numbers for the areas I fish and use them on a very regular basis. Thankfully on Otisco we have a very diligent eco patrolling and Im very happy with his responses to incidents I report. I don't even have to call just text...it's easy. If you want the rules enforced it starts with us. Oh and don't forget to look in the mirror...im pretty sure we have all been guilty of some minor infraction at a minimum and at least on Otisco when you call eco Head and he comes he will be checking you too...and I thank him every time. You can't selectively follow the law, not turn in illegal activities, and complain all the time how bad it has gotten....its all of us that need to stand up and start doing our part. If you fish the tribs and aren't turning these acts in you are half the problem. Don't confront just take video if possible and make a call/text. As Yankee said drown the DEC with our complaints! Blame the "Russians" is an easy thing to do, another good alternative, and I bet it will make everything better.

Justin Okrepki

NYSDEC licensed guide #7324

otiscolakeguideservice.com

(607)-349-1750