Salmon River Egg Collection

Tuesday Oct.11th:

Sorting Coho out of the ladder, Checking Chinooks to see if they are ripe, If so they will start collecting.

Chinooks Were Ready for Egg Collecting

3000,000 Eggs Taken from 79 Females This is an "OK" Egg take for the 1st day, Better in the past.

UPDATED (Tue 11th Afternoon)  349,000 Total Eggs taken today.

Wednesday Oct. 12th:  Day #2 Egg Collection

A Little Slower with 290,500 Collected

TOTAL Collected in 2 Days is around 640,000

Thurs. Oct  13th Day #3 Egg Collection

500,000 Eggs Collected

Fri. Oct 14th Day#4 Egg Collection

450,000 Eggs Collected

4 Days of Collection TOTAL so far is around 1,600,000    Eggs

********Going to Increase Salmon River Water flows this Weekend to Draw more fish in. Target of AROUND 3,000,000 Eggs should be met by end of next week.

I can give you Canada update as well if you are interested.

Canada started last weekend out slow at Ganaraska.   I am Trying to get up there and see "Natural Reproduction" myself.

SIDENOTE

: While People are showing on Facebook, winter snow sleds filled with some of our best (biggest) Breeding stock ,Salmon Duct Taped in,   and other #26 ++++ salmon on "Ropes" Dragging off The Salmon River, Not to mention Russian Snagging Videos Now !

In Canada

QUOTE:  " We Close most our Rivers Sept 30th to let fish Spawn" Most do not open back up till Spring time 2017. 

I Guess we can fish the Salmon River and take Millions of eggs also.....Increasing The water Flow on a Weekend Hopefully gives Opportunity to All.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

Tom,

I have been working on Canadian Eggs in Our system for years now and ( Utilizing Canadian system as well, with  Direct stock Canadian Hatchery fish in Niagara River --Canadian side.) .  I am hoping this will be the year that more happens .   I would like to start with Canadian -ALL natural reproduction eggs in our hatchery and a way to test them against our broad stock as a FANTASTIC EXPERIMENT if possible.  If I have to pull my "Devil's Advocate "  Full Time charter Capt. Buddy out of  a current self proclaimed "Pen Rearing less involvement role"  I will be Happy to do it.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

UPDATE:

Mon Oct. 17th

Lots of Chinooks in the Ladder at Hatchery.

649,000 Eggs collected

RUNNING TOTAL 2.2 Million eggs collected.

Canada Collected    1,160,068    Chinook Eggs from the Credit River . That is more than needed in case NY State DEC falls short.

Ganaraska  Natural Egg collections running behind, They worked over Their Thanksgiving weekend to help reach numbers. They should still make their Egg Target soon.

I am hoping to get a Canadian Ganaraska River NATURAL Eggs Production in our Hatchery for comparison/diversity  next Year .

THIS IS A TOP PRIORITY for me. And has been for years. People who fish Canadian salmon fishing tournaments will understand.

Hope to get you some current Altmar Hatchery video if possible.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

I am hoping to get a Canadian Ganaraska River NATURAL Eggs Production in our Hatchery for comparison/diversity  next Year .

THIS IS A TOP PRIORITY for me. And has been for years. People who fish Canadian salmon fishing tournaments will understand.

Hope to get you some current Altmar Hatchery video if possible.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

What good are those Ganny eggs if hatched in the SR hatchery? They will just molt to that river. I'd be more interested to see those Ganny eggs raised in a hatchery that isn't linked to this lake to see what those fish do.

What good are those Ganny eggs if hatched in the SR hatchery? They will just molt to that river. I'd be more interested to see those Ganny eggs raised in a hatchery that isn't linked to this lake to see what those fish do.

They will imprint on the Salmon River for sure.  I believe we get our pen fish too late and most are already imprinted on the Salmon River.  The only thing it will do is make the strains more diverse.   

Rick, You know......... I AM WORKING ON THAT ALSO..........O.K. Here is the "Baby steps" Strategy

1st

Get  N.Y. State D.E.C   &   OMNR to communicate and work more closely together .  Canadian's in all levels From Recreational fisherman & Unanimous Charter Capt. support and Sportsman and government support, Are not happy with the USA side willing to risk their 1/2 of Lake Ontario's Incredible Salmon fishery they have.

2nd

Get Canadian Eggs (Naturals only if possible) across borders, VERY HARD TO DO IN PAST with past Political landscapes. Steve & Andy are very accessible and Altmar hatchery staff & Conditions are going in right direction I believe.

3rd

Get fish tagging trailer involved again with Chinook studies consistently , instead of in mothballs or on Coho Experiments. I have spent time collecting data on fish marking trailer. IT IS EXPENSIVE, and leave it at that for now.

4th

Better inform anyone willing to take time and interest in the WHOLE Lake Ontario dynamics. You see how many people attend meetings or can ask Questions to Capts like you and Capt. Matt French.

Then we can try other avenues over a nice Italian dinner at Riccis in Greece NY with a captive audience and armed Lieutenant sitting  between me & you.....

THANKS MATT for the appreciation, and information you provide me year round.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

That's amazing Jerry, the whole king theory needs more folks like you. I would like if you could post the coho and Atlantics info as you did with the Kings. Those Atlantic salmon are just a beautiful looking species?? Thanks for all you do. PAP

Pap,

No problem.

Atlantic Salmon eggs are taken from Brood stock (in swimming pools behind Capt. Rick---Yankee Trollers house)

Just Kidding, I Know how he feels about Atlantics.........

Atlantic Salmon Eggs are taken from Brood Stock at our Adirondack Hatchery outside Saranac Lake.

I will post the Coho numbers also, as that starts today.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Pap,

No problem.

Atlantic Salmon eggs are taken from Brood stock (in swimming pools behind Capt. Rick---Yankee Trollers house)

Atlantic Salmon Eggs are taken from Brood Stock at our Adirondack Hatchery outside Saranac Lake.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Keep it up and you'll be looking for another boat to fish Canadian events from......

Pap,

No problem.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL[/quote

Thanks for your return comments, on the Atlantics and coho, please don't piss off Rick anymore than possible!! I'd hate for you to lose your Canadian ride.!!!! LOL!!! PAP

ifishy

Hatchery tried Coho Egg collection Wed 19th. and were not satisfied with Eggs taken. They  were 50/50 .....Half Ripe-Ready and other half "Green"  They will postpone till later.

So They will be collecting/working Chinook Eggs Tommorrow. Fri 21st till 12 Noon. at hatchery. Probably Last day until Coho work ressumes

***** Please take pictures & Post. If you & Family go.

Also

THANK YOU Capt. Sam Zucco for your Pictures and ALL the Questions you asked while at your Hatchery visit.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

We had our club meeting there last night and Tom gave us the up to the minute numbers.

3,045,000 Chinook eggs to date, day off today and back at it tomorrow as Jerry said for there "late" eggs.  They used the squeeze bottle technique for the first 1.5 million or so eggs then went back to the traditional 2 to 1 mix in a bowl technique.  With the way the females were coming to the hatchery this was the technique of choice for this yr.

They will use a Vinegar test in a few weeks to try and gauge how well eye up will happen.  If you soak the eggs in Vinegar it magnifies the embryo under a microscope and gives them an idea of viability.

They were ready to take Black River Chinooks if needed but it was not necessary.

260,000 Coho eggs have been taken so far.  As Jerry stated the Coho's just are not ready.

The uptick in water was perfect to get the remaining fish to the hatchery.  This was a very good move on the DEC's part. They also attribute the low initial female count to the River snipers picking off the larger female fish in the river.  "Snipers" is my word... 

THANKS BRIAN.

Thanks for CURRENT info.

Yes they Broke the #3 million egg take mark on Tue Oct 18th. The DEC has made GREAT moves/Implantations at the Hatchery this year, as I stated earlier " I believe the Hatchery is moving in right direction"

Sam Zucco had pictures & Video (bowl Technique included)

They also prefer The 2-1 and 3-1  male /Female mix to include the sperm from young Males (more Potent)

The current run there is only starting with Giants being "Snippered" out recently.

Thanks again for your Efforts.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

They also prefer The 2-1 and 3-1  male /Female mix to include the sperm from young Males (more Potent)

I was thinking about this on the way home.  They use the 2yr olds for this.  In mother natures world those fish typically would lose the battle and don't get to fertilize eggs.  In the manipulated world they are being used.  Makes you wonder if it affects size or running as a Jack.  

They also attribute the low initial female count to the River snipers picking off the larger female fish in the river.  "Snipers" is my word... 

I've taken a fair number of creek kings this fall, and 85% have been males...... unless the females are still in the lake, something is way different this year. 

Even back in September, I made a trip to the Niagara Bar and had a great day boating 14 kings...... 3 were females.

Edited by Traveling Circus

Brian,

2  year old male Chinooks, I see it that exact same way. This new Hatchery "Technique" was from a Professor I believe from Winsor college, Canada...That is the same Windsor Canadian college I tout often about how much Independent (Non-Government) Information I get at the Great Lakes fishery Commission meetings. So I am torn here like you until I get a chance get more info on this. Technically they are using Younger/Smaller male Chinooks NOT "Precocious Jacks" as they were called for the last 35 years.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Scobar

I am embarrassed to know this, BUT I collected eggs from (Sodus Charter Capts --Predator/Wilkinson goes back that far---.fishing the Genessee River EVERY FALL)  early 1980's to 1990's. I bought Eggs like Hollow grinder &  Braddock Bait shop ETC. Did.   It was convenient and I paid more than these places. I left clean 5 gallon pails & cash envelopes on every Charter boat on the PM ride home that had eggs. I could tell you how big the salmon runs there were yearly  and exact dates of the yearly runs, based on my records kept of salmon egg pounds collected and when.  A company called Tempo-Tech from Michigan (Rick Bovee owner ?) would pick up Hundreds of #'s of eggs every few days from my home garage refrigerator.

The ACCURATE original Chatilion scale I used to buy and sell the eggs is still my TOURNAMENT SCALE I use to this day on my boat.

Sorry for the Salmon Egg "old school" memories, The answer is  #3  to #4 pounds averaged out total (2 roes) . Then #30+ pound females ripe went up to   #6--- # 7  pounds total again averaged out.

What Tempo Tech did with these purchased Eggs and what they told they did with them is a Whole nether story.\

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

Mike,   Traveling Circus

First sorry I did not get back to you. Males have always staged 1st and first to run DEPENDANT on the specific water conditions were you are at . Water TEMPERATURE-Flow rate-Depths-Lake mouth Temps & mouth flows. ETC  ..With that said, this weeks rain should trigger the best runs yet to date. Every "Bridge tailgate" I checked so far this year has been majority Males. YOU know WAY more about this than me. Question I have for you is, WHERE were these Kings All late summer in the Lake? Genesee has Great numbers of Kings now and I don't want to mention Salmon river. And your "fair number" Kings caught  is my best case yet on the numbers of Kings running now.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL