Salmon River Egg Collection

LOL Red Fins Yet!! Go big or go home right!!, the guys are ****ing already about the lakers we have now!!, they are the Grand Daddy of lakers, they alone would eat the lake out of house and home. This has been an interesting thread from the start. One might think they know their fish and most do, "I like to think I do" but I got a real eye opener, with some of the species mentioned here. I know all was in fun and even a gleam in our eyes. But if I ever won the lottery I would like to fish for all of the above monsters of the deep fresh water fish. All in all I got one hell of a education. That's what this site is all about. PAP.

lol, adult GBL Redfins would probably try to eat the Chinooks haha! Ever read in to what those things eat in that lake with only 4-5 species of fish present? Most of their diet is made up of fully grown Arctic Greyling and Whitefish and the larger individuals will cannibalize on 8-16 pound Lakers like they're appetizers. Maybe that's exactly what the Lake O community would like, a bigger strain of Lake Trout that fight even harder (they are the Kings in my eyes :) ) and additionally will lessen the population size by eating smaller ones. Although, I can see it now, a 50" Redfin relentlessly chasing schools of 2-3 year old salmon like they were baitfish XD

A guy in the hatchery told me that they are changing their practices and monitoring males sperm to improve fertilization and they think its working, not genetics.

I think Seafarellin browns were tried once but their survival stunk and DEC dropped the program.

Charmaster the # of eggs collected is misleading. 1.8 million kings are normally stocked vs 250k coho in new York. 50k Atlantics

I would go with practices over genetics if not for one thing. Per the DEC at the state of lake meeting they used to have eye up rates for Coho's around 60% if there practices have always been the same(until the new ideas they are trying) then why the drop.  Seems to me the only variable in this cases would be the fish.

just imagine if we got fresh eggs for kings say from the Kenai and the fish from those eggs took well to lake O. 

Won't work.  The Tule strain that we have was specifically selected because it is a short river/estuary spawner that stays out in the ocean/lake as long as possible.  Kenai Kings run in May/June because they have a 1000 miles of river to run to reach their spawning gravel.  That won't work in the GL where a long trib might be 30-40 miles.

Won't work.  The Tule strain that we have was specifically selected because it is a short river/estuary spawner that stays out in the ocean/lake as long as possible.  Kenai Kings run in May/June because they have a 1000 miles of river to run to reach their spawning gravel.  That won't work in the GL where a long trib might be 30-40 miles.

Yeah I know they wouldn't work. As not all salmon are the same and that the strain we have was picked because it matures in the lake, is fall spawner and doesn't run as far upstream. 

The idea about the Kenai straight is just the thought of having kings that mature at a later age and fix the issue of having our salmon mature at age 2 or 3 and instead mature at say 4 and 5.

Getting "new eggs" from outside of New York is likely impossible at this point because of all the disease transfer concerns.  You also have to consider whether BC wants to take away from the Skeena Race to provide eggs to a "competing" entity, and whether Alaska would let Kenai eggs go considering allt he problems they have been having on that river.  Then, of course, there are the Fish Community Objectives that govern the mix of fish stocked in the lake, and the contingent of Stakeholders that would like to see the current mix of exotics go away and the native species restored.  I don't think you are going to see any of this, but, of course, fantasy is always fun! :thinking:  

Also, didn't they try stocking the seeforellen ( see not sea   :) ) brown trout strain at some point and it didn't work out?

Edited by MikeyP

Yes they did try the seeforellen brown but they didn't do well in Lake O. Heard they eat themselves to death(not sure if that's actually true just had an old gentelment tell me that once.)

Don't they use the seeforellen brown in Michigan?  As I know Michigan's gets some browns that are as big if not bigger then there kings.