Pheasants season opener

Gill-T

Anyone notice less birds stocked this year?  What is usually a war zone, the state park I was at yesterday was unusually quiet.  I ate pheasant last night but only two flushes in morning hunt. 

Lots of guys out down here. Heard reports of lots of birds for youth weekend so good numbers of carryover. Got one and should have had a second but I was looking at something different when the bird flushed and missed. Sunday morning there were lots more people out, 2 flushes out of range. I usually hunt more later on when everyone else is moved on to the next thing. Less people and more room to work my dogs.

The most consistent stocked area I've hunted is Iroquois and Oak Orchard. I believe they stock every Tuesday and Friday, so birds tend to be easily found. I agree though, I hunted this weekend and I came across one bird in hemlock... I'm sure it was a leftover from opening day. You have to remember there's only one state pheasant facility now that I know of (Reynolds in Ithaca)so the logistics of propagating all of the release sites is pretty mind boggling. PA does a much better job stocking, and especially with habitat management. That's the thing that's real depressing to me is the lack of effort put forth in creating and maintaining habitat.

Edited by WoodieBoater

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/pheasantsites16.pdf

This is a link to the NYSDEC list of release sites and specific rules associated with each site.

First of all I misspoke, DEC releases at Oak Orchard and Tonawanda. my mistake.

They don't list specifically where at Oak Orchard and Tonawanda, but it does say closed to pheasant hunting Tuesday and Friday (ive seen the trucks there on Tuesday and Friday).