crossbow broadheads vs compound broadheads.

DJ 17

I bought my 75 yr old dad a crossbow for his birthday which he will get to use come November. Having never owned a crossbow here is my question: Is there an actual manufacturing difference between crossbow vs compound bow broadheads? Do they make them stronger or are companies just pushing them from a marketing standpoint to make more $$$?  Thanks.

For fixed broad heads such as slick tricks there is no difference. You can use the same fixed on a crossbow or vertical bow.

For expandables the speed may play a factor in opening up the blades too soon.

I have killed a deer for the past two seasons and speak with some experience and research.

You can call David at Wyvern Creations to get good advice as well, since he deals in crossbow by the hundreds.

Good luck to you and your dad.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

In response to the reply referencing a broad head that looked like it hit a brick wall, I am in doubt. Possibly this could happen if it hit a shoulder at a distance, however, the broad head should pass through easily if it is fixed as the speed and kinetic energy will be much higher with a crossbow. Please reference the September 2016 issue of Field & Stream magazine, page 18, for more good information.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Edited by cutbait