Genesee River Salmon Massacre

My friend fished the Genesee River at Rochester at the waterfall. He said there were Chinese Men scooping up the Salmon with a huge net, and also billy clubbing them. Also, Russians and Others snagging them and having their buddies and kids haul loads of them up the trail, only to return time and again for more. ILLEGAL activity wide open and no DEC around. If this is where our future small fry have to come from, natural reproduction, we are losing allot of them.      I emailed DEC, but if any of you know any deputies, tell them about this. Oh, I suggest they don't come solso, from what I understand it is a rough crowd.  

Yes it is illegal and yes the DEC is absent although they know that it is happening. But salmon do not reproduce in the Genny and all these pounds of fish that otherwise would just die and rot are at least being eaten (in sushi :( ?).

Anyway,my point is that we who call ourselves sports fisherman are very self righteous about the "ethics" of the sport because we stick to certain rules in our pursuit of chasing and often killing these very same fish while not even eating them.

We often talk about the economic value of our fishery. What happens down at the falls also has economic value. For the inner city people it is an economic windfall.

This yearly event at the falls should not be compared to the yearly rape at many tributaries done by people who have no respect for a scarce resource that is threatened by their misbehavior.

The good part of this event is that for now at least the salmon have come back in large numbers.

Were they all Chinese and Russians and Others (aliens?)?

I think that the DEC should be down there not so much to stop the taking of fish but to make sure that these people at least have paid for a fishing license.

Ok now take up your pen and condemn me

Edited by rolmops

Nope, I won't condemn you. I understand the logic. I just happen to feel that the culture of disrespect that's so blatantly displayed in the gorge reinforces all of the negative influences that already pose a challenge to inner city youth. You learn from your environment. 

I guess it's a balance between practicality and philosophy. 

Wow.....I thought I heard it All now.... You are seriously saying it's OK for people to break the law because of their socio/economic status? That's ridiculous!In that case then poor inner city folks should be allowed to do burglaries, sell drugs, or shoplift....I mean it helps them...No? Where do you draw the line. And calling us self Riteous is a plain old slap in the face....we are LAW ABIDING CITIZENS. And who are you to decide what laws should be enforced and what to overlook... Never mind the snagging, but sir do you have a license? Really? Condone you? Many people on this lake work very hard through pen rearing projects, fundraising, and good ole hard work to keep our fishery going.... And you get on an open forum and condone the illegal taking of the fish they worked so hard to preserve? Outstanding! The bottom line is rules are rules and we all need to follow them....no matter what end of the economic ladder you are on....

Sent from my VS985 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Missdemeanor

Rolmops - that was pretty weak.

Your logic is akin to accepting someone who is poor stealing a carton of cigarettes from the local grocer b/c they can make a buck selling them on the local street corner and then making sure the thief has a permit to sell goods.

Breaking the law is breaking the law....period

It's been going on for years and years and years. It's been a popular topic of discussion for years as well. Apparently DEC doesn't care.

I talked to them last year about it and was told that the city of Rochester just throws the tickets out, I don't think that they don't care but how many tickets should they have thrown away before they just quit writing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My point is that we should not be holier than thou. As for breaking the law. When rich people intend to break the law, they change the law to make sure that their crimes become legalized. Poor people do not have that luxury.

But I agree that breaking the law must be punished.

Edited by rolmops

Lower class, Middle class, upper class, I don't give a rats butt.  Breaking the law is breaking the law.  This BS on the tribs needs to stop.  The Asian guy down there owns a Chinese restaurant in the city On Dewey Ave. from what I was told.  We as sportsmen need to get this crap stopped.  With stocking cuts coming, we need to get the DEC, Town/ City officials to make some changes. 

Im all for law and order.....However, if some people, regardless of ethnicity, were truly in need and these fish were a legitimate means to provide for their families...... Wouldn't it be a crime to not let these folks harvest fish that are at the end of their life cycle? As an american wouldnt you want to help someone in genuine need? Say they possessed a fishing license.

Those fish would go to waste otherwise.... And they could do some good for our community.

Edited by EsoxAC3

That is a bunch of BS.  We create laws and rules, we follow them and if we don't like them we try to get them changed. Plus if they think they can do this at the Genny, why would they feel its wrong to do at any other stream or for any type of fish.  They going to ignore one rule but listen to others.  Today its kings in the Genny, tomorrow are snagging browns and steelies in the puddle creeks.  And let's be honest its easier to do in the puddle creeks and some are already doing it.

They are making $ off those fish! The ghetto is right above the falls and I don't see them down there ripping away! Holy crap people, the logic that comes out of people's pie holes is amazing.....

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

They are making $ off those fish! The ghetto is right above the falls and I don't see them down there ripping away! Holy crap people, the logic that comes out of people's pie holes is amazing.....

The Genny Pier thread has a screen capture of a guys craiglist ad selling salmon from the gorge.

Oh I'm sure there "in need" to help there family eat.....lol. Not for nothing, but as they are slinging nests and lead in there, they just might be getting other fish than salmon too. That's ok, let ignore it......

If they were truly in need and trying to support their family, maybe they could try getting a real, legal JOB (like the majority of Legit fisherman have to), rather than having the time to partake in illegal activities as a means of support. Just a thought...