Genesee River Salmon Massacre

C'mon man! A lot bigger fish to fry than what goes on at the river. Rollmops opinion about taking salmon at the falls would be fine with me if no bycatch was involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Really? You think it's OK for people to snag, net, and sell these fish? These individuals are making a profit on our taxpaying dollars and efforts.

Let's assume the proper manpower was generated.... It would only take one or two weekends of zero tolerance down there, and the riff raff would be scarse.

As far as bigger fish to fry...what bigger fish does the DEC have to fry this time of year? When I was talking about saturating an area, I was referring to DEC and USFG... Sure the city PD has their hands full, but laws are laws... I'm not suggesting locking people upon Game violations, however people who violate these laws, tend to ignore the other ones as well...

If those clowns show up at Sandy again for a little night netting, is that OK too?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Give them the river bro, "they" already took the whole city. When's the last time you went down there? What about Bogey or Zucco or me? I used to live down there and have the Kodak pics to prove it.

It's gone Matt, protect Sandy and the Oak, if Shawcross was still alive HE wouldn't fish down there.

That's the problem. ...

Too many people say Fu%k it...... Protect Sandy ? Why? There hasn't been a pen reared salmon in 2 years at Sandy...

Why do we have to make sure one guy follows the rules...but hey this guy over here can do what he wants.....complete crap! It's like when I hear of captains who operate without a license... That's Bull$Hit... If I have to jump through every hoop the USCG and the DEC throws at me while some clown thinks he's above the rules....infuriates me.

By the way I fished the River every fall since I was 8 years old... For the first few years, my dad's Thompson was the only boat up there.... Heck I had a stand selling snag hooks ..and Arthur was one of my best customers....

Sent from my VS985 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm out bro, and you know I love you. I long ago gave up on 90% of my trib fishing. Not sure if it was stepping in human feces at the oak or the nonsense at the river. It was a better place when snagging was legal. I'm perfectly happy being a horrible deer hunter now and have to get up early in the am to stink up the woods, I mean hunt.

God bless.

Right on Bill.... it's very frustrating living in these times ( especially for me and my comrades) however I like fishing and hunting too much to allow some turd to help himself to a resource I ( and many other law abiding sportsmen) helped create...

Back when snagging was legal, a DEC officer actually had an apartment on St. Paul right near Seth Green ( paid for by the state for 2 months). I spoke to him often. He would tell me about all the different cases he caught out of a simple fishing license check... as young kid, I thought he had the coolest gig.

Unless more people make the squeaky wheel louder, then the same actions will continue.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm not even going to state an opinion here, because I can understand both sides of the argument (although I strongly favor one side). However, I find it a sign of the times that people who have very strong opinions tend to be dogmatic in their views. Not casting aspersions. Just stating a fact. We as a society have become more polarized than ever before and less willing to concede that other people may have a reasonable basis for their opinions, just perhaps one that you don't share. 

I think it's particularly hard to agree with someone when they're calling you an idiot. If we want to change people's opinions, then it's counterproductive. If we just want to bash them into submission, then I guess it's okay. No secret where that leads, though. Just look at the Middle East.

Yeah dying fish are not at the same priority as putting a murderer behind bars but you know what, Uncle Mario has no issue popping people for an overdo registration, or any other small non life threatning vehicle infractions. The City of Rochester had no issue giving Nick Tahou's a citation and fine for missing badges at the Lilac Festival and fighting it in court when he refused to pay. If these can be enforced or in Nick Tahou's case the city spent a lot of money fighting it out in court only to lose, then why can these envirmental crimes be enforced too. Create a special court like Traffic court, these fines will more than pay expenses.

Sum B*tch he said Nick Tahoes......Now I need a Garbage Plate. 

I have an idea....Let. This. Thread. DIE!

Arguing on here will not solve anything. Bring your concerns to the DEC at it's public meetings. Oh wait, no one goes to those......

Gee gator.... I'm no philosopher, and hell I needed to pick apart your post and break out my dictionary....whew I guess I don't know nuttin about no learnin.... and this has zero to do with opinions. It's the LAW. If it was legal, I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't say a word....much like fly fishing vs Pin or bow vs gun hunting. All legal means to take game....but snagging, netting, and selling fish is not....

Rick...good idea.... let's just ignore a problem... it's worked all these years....

That's the problem with people these days. Everyone is afraid to get involved, or simply doesn't care.

You guys have at it....... I've said what I had to say...... BTW I found my snag hook mold at my folks house.... $1000 or b/of. Lmao

Gee gator.... I'm no philosopher, and hell I needed to pick apart your post and break out my dictionary....whew I guess I don't know nuttin about no learnin.... and this has zero to do with opinions. It's the LAW. If it was legal, I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't say a word....much like fly fishing vs Pin or bow vs gun hunting. All legal means to take game....but snagging, netting, and selling fish is not....

Rick...good idea.... let's just ignore a problem... it's worked all these years....

That's the problem with people these days. Everyone is afraid to get involved, or simply doesn't care.

You guys have at it....... I've said what I had to say...... BTW I found my snag hook mold at my folks house.... $1000 or b/of. Lmao

Not ignoring anything bud, but this thread wont solve the problem. What it will do is put a spotlight on the G, and I'm not real happy about that. If you read everyone's concerns on LOU you'll see that a lot of people are passionate about this fishery, but when I go to the meetings it's quite embarrassing on turn out. Rooms filled with people ****ing about illegal activity in the streams is what will get in the DEC's ear. Not a **** fest on LOU.

I'm not even going to state an opinion here, because I can understand both sides of the argument (although I strongly favor one side). However, I find it a sign of the times that people who have very strong opinions tend to be dogmatic in their views. Not casting aspersions. Just stating a fact. We as a society have become more polarized than ever before and less willing to concede that other people may have a reasonable basis for their opinions, just perhaps one that you don't share. 

I think it's particularly hard to agree with someone when they're calling you an idiot. If we want to change people's opinions, then it's counterproductive. If we just want to bash them into submission, then I guess it's okay. No secret where that leads, though. Just look at the Middle East.

The polarization is a result of the soft-mindedness you display. Rather than hold a blind justice system accountable, it seems from your post you'd like a justice system to bend to your relative opinion that certain groups have a reasonable basis to be excused from responsibility. And if we don't adhere to your whimsical reasons, well, then we are on our way to Sharia Law or whatever you're getting at with your reference to the Middle East. It is important to present logical, historical, lawful precedence as a means to debate and change people's errant opinions. That discourse is crucial, even if you are scared someone's feelings will hurt.   

We got a couple guys busted about 10 years ago.  The DEC and the Rochester City Police were involved.  Once they were arrested, the Rochester Police officer informed us they had warrants for their arrests.  One for drug trafficking and one for Assult and illegal weapons charges.  They also were charged for many DEC violations.  This is the type of people we are dealing with down there. 

We got a couple guys busted about 10 years ago. The DEC and the Rochester City Police were involved. Once they were arrested, the Rochester Police officer informed us they had warrants for their arrests. One for drug trafficking and one for Assult and illegal weapons charges. They also were charged for many DEC violations. This is the type of people we are dealing with down there.

I always try to keep a good relationship with the locals down there, last year I got into an argument with another guy and the one little homie told me for $50 he could make a rock fall off the cliff and smash that guy's head. Luckily for that guy I have thick skin and a light wallet

Who's to say salmon are the only fish or the run is the only time of year this happens ? People that get away with things tend to expand what they do cuz no one is stopping them. This is why enforcement or organizing is so important.

The "screw it" mentality, or justifying/excusing illegal behavior is as dangerous as the crime itself. If you don't care what happens then why are you on here causing drama?

If you do care why aren't you doing something about it ?

Ever see TV episodes of Asian fish markets illegal selling fish ? This is no different. Same crap. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they are illegal immigrants.

A few years ago in Henrietta a house full of illegal Chinese immigrants, 30 of them, were finally busted and guess where they worked ? Chinese restaurants.

My grandma always told me that even if you disagreed with someone's opinion you still needed to show respect.

I find it interesting but not unexpected that a similar sentiment from me posted here gets me labeled "soft-minded"...and that's without my taking sides...and for the record, I am strongly opposed to snagging and I find what's happening at the tribs abhorrent. I never put anyone down in my post; rather I noted that dogmatic arguments rarely sway people. So, what's the point of alienating someone who likely has similar views as your own just because he councils respect for other opinions? I  agree that discourse is necessary. Name calling is not. You can express your own opinions without belittle someone else, particularly if you don't really understand what they're saying.

Here's a good rule of thumb: respond to people's posts like they're your Grandma. Try swaying people with a persuasive argument rather than just bashing.

Oh, this is the internet. Sorry, I forgot.

My grandma always told me that even if you disagreed with someone's opinion you still needed to show respect.

I find it interesting but not unexpected that a similar sentiment from me posted here gets me labeled "soft-minded"...and that's without my taking sides...and for the record, I am strongly opposed to snagging and I find what's happening at the tribs abhorrent. I never put anyone down in my post; rather I noted that dogmatic arguments rarely sway people. So, what's the point of alienating someone who likely has similar views as your own just because he councils respect for other opinions? I  agree that discourse is necessary. Name calling is not. You can express your own opinions without belittle someone else, particularly if you don't really understand what they're saying.

Here's a good rule of thumb: respond to people's posts like they're your Grandma. Try swaying people with a persuasive argument rather than just bashing.

Oh, this is the internet. Sorry, I forgot.

Soft-minded is polite, respectful terminology. I can offer up synonyms that are disrespectful to prove my point, but won't. Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe, the stance you are taking can be frustrating, and anger folks as much or more so than harsh words. I did offer a persuasive stance; that mollycoddling a certain set of folks one way deteriorates a blind justice system, but you cannot get beyond being called soft-minded or feeling bashed to address that. You simply wish to reinforce a politically correct granny vernacular that stifles good debate.

Hey Scott: you haven't got any worries then! 

And Kingfisher: Me? Stifle debate? I think you've got the wrong guy  :rofl:

I don't care whether you call it vernacular or not, respect is respect. For example, I have nothing but kudos for your reply above. And yeah, it's crossed my mind. I'm not sure how a simple call out to lose the name calling qualifies for anger, but it happens. Like I say, it's the internet. 

As for addressing your take on mollycoddling, I don't really want to address it--I don't disagree with you. That's why it's so strange to have you act like I need to be "corrected". 

Edited by Gator