Genesee River Salmon Massacre

My personal experience, seeing a problem like this one. It goes to a "Government" Agency, and they get involved by shutting off all fishing, getting their own people in there and doing their own "Bait and Shoot" per say. Using tax dollars to fund their overtime and taking the dead carcasses off to the dumps. A no win for the people, at all! Making decisions and Laws that the Police can't enforce because the Judges let the offenders go free

. Mean while Charlie Chan b**ches because he's a business man, and Police are harassing him over a few Salmon. The Police in this City have more on their plates to handle with crime then go down to the River and get into it with the Locals over some Salmon Grabbing. You folks said it yourselves. You make complaints over the years, and nobody seems to care. It's really a catch 22. We see videos of the trash that is left over after the Salmon runs. Salmon River, Oak Orchard, Burt Damn. etc. No respect and very little support from Gov. Agencies. Sure, we see a couple of videos of poachers getting hauled away. It makes us cheer! It's the same as when we see a "Street Leval" drug dealer getting arrested. We cheer! What about the King Pins running the Cartels? They don't seem to get touched. Why? They're part of "The System." I don't know, I just felt like putting in my nickels worth here. Don't hate me for it. The answers don't come easy on these issues. Have fun fishing! And watch out for flyin lead down there. It's not worth any of you not showing up for dinner because you tried to express your opinion to people that would rather do you bodily harm, than throw their Salmon back in the river.  respectfully, Steve....

DEC ENCON has done numerous "sting" operations at the Genny over the years.  I called in the Russian night netting last year; Web Pearsall later told me that they were having problems all over the state with night time activity last year as there were so few fish returning anywhere.  In the City, tickets have consistently been thrown out by judges, as stated by others, because fishing violations "do not count."  What needs to happen there is organized opposition to the re-election of the magistrates who dismiss the charges.  It has to be extremely frustrating for an officer or team to work to generate over 100 citations and then see all summarily dismissed.  You will not see arrests at the bottom on the Maplewood side, they work with a spotter on the bridge and make the pinches at the top of the hill, so the fish have already been carried out.

And if this is bad, what about the shyt show in Pulaski this fall, where half the town prostitutes their resource to the out of state liners and lifters for the quick bux, and many legit resident anglers have just up and quit going because it has degenerated to such a zoo again.  And now that we've had some rain, you'll see the same thing at Sandy, Maxwell, all along the lake.  But it is very gratifying to hear some of the opposition talk from the Charter industry, 20 years ago the captains would not have given a hoot about Ditch activity. 

And if this is bad, what about the shyt show in Pulaski this fall, where half the town prostitutes their resource to the out of state liners and lifters for the quick bux, and many legit resident anglers have just up and quit going because it has degenerated to such a zoo again.  And now that we've had some rain, you'll see the same thing at Sandy, Maxwell, all along the lake.  But it is very gratifying to hear some of the opposition talk from the Charter industry, 20 years ago the captains would not have given a hoot about Ditch activity. 

I've often wondered how many people don't go/fish the tribs do to this.  You always hear these people spend money in places like Pulaski so we can't ticket them or they won't come back and the town will lose money.  But how many people do they turn away by allowing these actions to take place? and would towns actually benefit financially in the long run by actually doing something to stop all of this BS.

I've often wondered how many people don't go/fish the tribs do to this.  You always hear these people spend money in places like Pulaski so we can't ticket them or they won't come back and the town will lose money.  But how many people do they turn away by allowing these actions to take place? and would towns actually benefit financially in the long run by actually doing something to stop all of this BS.

I don't anymore. I have a lot of money tied up into stream fishing gear, but last fall/winter I went 2 times. I used to go every Sat/Sun until ice showed up for many many years. I can't take the shyt show anymore, I can't deal with these young centerpin punks who claim to know everything, but you'll never see one at a State of the Lake meeting or a pen project. Seriously, I overheard one young dude telling his friend about a Brown Trout/Rainbow hybrid he caught and how rare of a fish it was. The ethics in the ditches are horrible regardless of what season it is.

I don't anymore. I have a lot of money tied up into stream fishing gear, but last fall/winter I went 2 times. I used to go every Sat/Sun until ice showed up for many many years. I can't take the shyt show anymore, I can't deal with these young centerpin punks who claim to know everything, but you'll never see one at a State of the Lake meeting or a pen project. Seriously, I overheard one young dude telling his friend about a Brown Trout/Rainbow hybrid he caught and how rare of a fish it was. The ethics in the ditches are horrible regardless of what season it is.

I'm with you Rick.  I used to love trib fishing but can't stand fishing with people that abuse the fishery.  There are some great trib guys but the numbers of dbags out number the good guys by a huge number. 

Same here now a days the only trib I can stand to fish anymore is the Niagara River, used to fish burt and places like that but I can't take it anymore. And your right you never see any of them at meetings or helping with the pens.

Edited by salmonboy41

I've honestly lost a lot of interest in it as well. I'll still get out several times a year but the last 3 years seem to be especially bad. I used to go 3-4 times a week. Hopefully this is just a fad for now and will calm down but I wont "plan" a day to go. I like the boat a lot more. Just have to become a perch fisherman this time of year. lol 

Right with you. I used to fish the Genny twenty years ago...you had to be careful parking, but once you were down there it was fine. September showed an influx of some questionable types, but the rest of the season the guy next to you might be your next best buddy. Now, the guy next to you might pull a revolver if you tell him the snagging is illegal. I think that the later runs of salmon, lack of enforcement (of course, why write tickets when they'd get thrown out anyway?), and $$$ to be made screw the entire autumn fishery. The dead of winter and early spring can be better, but man, the goat trail has gotten treacherous. It's so unfortunate to have a world class fishery, or half a mile of one anyway, and not be able to utilize it unless you're willing to put up with all kinds of bs. I wish I believed that calling DEC would help, but it's the same thing every year now and like Rick and Brian, I can't stomach it anymore. Heck, maybe I've just turned into a curmudgeon  :rofl:

I'm from CT, and I fish the tribs around Sodus area almost every year I was disgusted when I saw all the snaggers, I didn't know that there was so many low lives posing as fishermen, it's a disgrace.

Whenever I or my cousins caught one, we'd yell to the snaggers "hey look guys I caught another one in the mouth, incredible"

It upsets me, because we don't have fisheries in CT like you guys have up there, and it's awful to see them abused like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

it has been said that the art of diplomacy is defined by bringing others around to your point of view by making them think it was their idea to begin with.

one poster on this thread, in a reasoned, well thought out argument stated correctly that is hard to agree with someone who calls you an idiot, and that people should at least try to understand the reasons other people have for opinions different than their own.

he was subsequently called, in so many words, an idiot in the very next post for having said that.

polarization. no one person, or group of people, have ever been absolutely right about anything. ever.

to get along as a society, which we must do, we need to accept the fact that an idea other than our own does indeed have merit and deserves consideration. if two people with opposing viewpoints can have a cordial debate over the merits of their individual opinions very often a compromise can be reached that will be more beneficial to each party than if either party had their own way in it's entirety.

cheers,

joe