Muzzleloader buck

Kevin J Legg

Went out this afternoon hoping to beat the rain. Saw a couple scrapes under apple trees on my way to an old tree stand. Sat in the stand for about an hour and a nail pulled out of the seat. That made me uneasy so I climbed down and went back by a green field near a bedding area near the rubs. Didn't have a good place to sit so I lay on the ground with my head on my back pack. After a short time a deer stepped out of the bedding area into the green field and was about 125 yards away facing me head on. I knew it was a basket 6 or 8 and soon another small spike stepped out. They were curious and moved closer and the spike moved to my left out of view. I had my gun resting on my knees and the larger buck moved closer and turned broadside. Although I was still on my back I was certain I had a great rest so took the shot at around 80 yards. Could hear the hit and saw the buck going away dragging a front leg. He went further than I anticipated but fortunately after a search found him piled up about 150 yards away. No blood trail but he was hit behind the shoulder and His chest cavity was full of blood. Always amazes me how far they sometimes go after a hard hit. I was fortunate to find him as it soon post-144887-14767597234601_thumb.jpgbegan to rain and thunder and lightning. Glad I didn't have to return in the morning to continue my search.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Sweet!! Mountain beef in the freezer, I'm sure you have fish in the freezer also. Come January, February, your will have to make a surf & turf mountain man style. Congrats to your hunt!!!