Nature is neat

Landshark

I figured I'd share a little story from my morning hunt yesterday. After not seeing anything I decided it was time to move one of my other stands.

I am standing in the edge of a chopped cornfield doing the which tree ponder that we have all done. All the sudden I hear a noise and a rabbit just about runs me over. Full sprint withing a foot of my feet. I had been standing there for five minutes. I watch as the rabbit continues on the path it blew by me on. So curiosity kicks in and I look to the hardwoods that it ran from. There was a Fisher chasing it. The Fisher got to about 20 ft from me and turned around and ran away. It just makes you wonder if the rabbit was smart enough to think I was it's safe haven. Ya got love NEATure

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador

2 weeks ago, I watched a redtail whack a crow on the ground. He sunk talons into the crows' head and chest, and while the crow was thrashing around, 4 geese which were feeding in the same field came walking over to the attack (for whatever reason)....... The hawk got nervous and then carried the flapping crow by the head about 30 yards away, and landed there to finish the job....... pretty cool.... In the attack, the hawk dropped out of the air, carrying lots of speed about 2 feet over the field, and he never stopped until plowing into the crow (still on the ground), hooks extended......

Those Redtails are neat. I have a pair of very large adults that live in the woods nearby my house and they often land on the peak of my house to look for voles and field mice and the occasional rabbit in the field out back. One day I was sitting out on the patio out back with my Cairn Terrier on a leash sitting nearby and one of the hawks boldly landed on the corner of the roof. He sat there for a few minutes cocking his head back and forth very obviously  eyeing up my dog and you could see he was deliberating about whether he could manage carrying him away. I put the dog inside :lol: .

Edited by Sk8man

As a kid hunting rabbits I had several times where the dogs got crossed tracked on a deer and even with me yelling and chasing after the dogs those deer circled back within 5 yds of me so I could get those dogs off its trail.  They knew where I was and must have also known I wasn't after them.  1st time I thought that it was bizarre - after a few times I knew it was something more.  Everytime I think maybe they are a lot smarter than people give them credit for I drive to Rochester and am reminded that they haven't learned how to cross the road safely yet. 

See a fisher would be great.  I based the name of my website on a bad pun thinking of the animal.  Never seen a live one in the wild.  Last night just after dark I was out on the deck listening to bucks butting heads out in the field.  Pretty cool.

This happened quite a few years ago during the rifle deer season. I was hunting in the evening & watched 2 horned owls "drive" a grey squirrel up a small valley towards me by taking turns flying back & forth across the valley till 1 of the owls snatched the squirrel off the back side of a tree not more than 20 yards away from me. One of the craziest things I seen in the outdoors. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it.

Great story Mike. I've seen fishers while deer hunting on two occasions. Very neat animals.

I was once sitting on a log pile and I heard a rabbit squealing right underneath me. A moment latter it ran out and had a weasel attached to it's neck. I watch the tumbling struggle for 30 minutes after which the weasel dragged the rabbit back under the log pile. Sure wish I had a video of it. Those are the types of natural dramas that non hunters will likely never view.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Awesome story. I think fisher are one of the coolest animals we have local. We have quite a few. This year we have a 5 day trapping season for them so I will throw everything I have at catching just 1 to mount or hang on Wall. Really cool interaction. I actually called one in yote hunting with my boy last year

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Years ago, my dad was bow hunting and the hunting was slow. A rabbit came into range and he knows a guy that will take them off his hands. He put an arrow into it, but the ground stopped the arrow from passing through completely. The rabbit took off a ways, but close enough so my dad could hear it squealing. As he's tracking it, he sees a hawk swoop down in the same direction. Sure enough, he hears the wings flap on the ground, and then sees the hawk fly away with the rabbit with the arrow hanging out of it. The arrow has not been recovered. It must've been quite a sight to see that arrow disappear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Awhile back I was walking out of the woods in Dutchess county and I saw a bobcat in the trail ahead of me just sitting there. I pulled up the scope and  looked but the little voice for some reason said don't shoot.  Not 2 seconds later I see a little fur ball scoot up a tree next to the cat on the ground, and then 2 more did the same thing. The mother took off, but I'm sure she didn't go far. I snuck in closer and got to with in 30 yds of the three kits, and then walked away to leave them alone. They were probably three of the prettiest things I have ever seen in the woods. I was extremely glad I didn't shoot that mother Bobcat.