sticking throttle

blueghost1

I am having an issue with a Quicksilver throttle assy on a '99 trophy . It has become increasingly moving harder. Last weekend it was very tough to "bump" up or down 100 rpms at a time trolling  . Use to move smooth, now notchy. Its nothing in the cable or throttle body but right in the throttle assy. Anyone ever have one apart or serviced them? Idk what grease or lubricant to try. Any help appreciated , thanks !

If the cable is working freely, maybe it is the friction adjustment on the control assy.

If you have had the control assembly apart, it is possible to cause it to bind if you didn't get it reassembled correctly. One thing I found is that you don't have to remove the screws for the manual (warm up) idle speed lever when you take it apart and if you do, they must be reinstalled before reinstalling the cover. The cover should fit back on with no gaps around the seem, without having to use pressure to close it, if everything is aligned properly.

I am talking about one for 1990 outboard but I think the control lever assy. may be the same for an I/O.

if there is it must be inside. its fine running on plane and start up , just real touchy and stiff trying to bump rpms slow. Saturday on Canandaigua I had to settle for 1.8-2.1 or 2.9-3.2 @ 600 or 900 rpm. It was a little too windy for the plate down lol

Did you have the lower shift cable, from the outdrive to the shift mechanism on the back shift assemble changed? Usually just called the "lower cable". Sorry I didn't see, and all the bellows. 👀

Edited by pap

Did you have the lower shift cable, from the outdrive to the shift mechanism on the back shift assemble changed? Usually just called the "lower cable". Sorry I didn't see, and all the bellows.

My IO sticks hard going into reverse.  So much so, that I have to change hand positions to get it to go.  In talking to the tech at my marina, he told me it is usually the lower cable that does that.  He also told me that he does those with a boot job on IO's.  To the original poster, I hope your 2 year old cables have not gone bad, but it sounds like it.  In researching them, I also found out it is not worth trying to rehab them.  

Thanks guys, geez I hope it hasn't gone bad, if it is that I will live with it as long as possible. The only reason for the whole bellow job was a pin hole in the shift cable boot. Took it to Seager Marine and had all bellows, cables and u joints (cant remember if gimble bearing done )  changed as preventive maint. since it was apart

My IO sticks hard going into reverse.  So much so, that I have to change hand positions to get it to go.  In talking to the tech at my marina, he told me it is usually the lower cable that does that.  He also told me that he does those with a boot job on IO's.  To the original poster, I hope your 2 year old cables have not gone bad, but it sounds like it.  In researching them, I also found out it is not worth trying to rehab them.

Does the motor stall sometimes, if so this is the only cable that has anything to do with the shift interrupter, and if you can afford to have it done I advise you to have it done. I will say that this task is the only thing I couldn't do myself, and the marinia I took it to fought it for 2hrs them selves, of course my modle boat they said is the worse they ever saw, just the way it's routed. Now it's a pleasure to drive!!

Does the motor stall sometimes, if so this is the only cable that has anything to do with the shift interrupter, and if you can afford to have it done I advise you to have it done. I will say that this task is the only thing I couldn't do myself, and the marinia I took it to fought it for 2hrs them selves, of course my modle boat they said is the worse they ever saw, just the way it's routed. Now it's a pleasure to drive!!

It does not stall. Just goes hard into reverse. It is a '97 Proline with the original power and drive. My guess, cables are original too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Guffins your pretty much hijacking this thread and should probably start your own. The OPs thread is about his throttle "sticking", not a shifting issue.So the lower shift cable has nothing to do with the operation of the throttle cable.

Sorry for trying to add to the conversation. I think if I were asking a bunch of questions, trying to hijack info from this thread I would see your point. I will back off so as to not hijack this thread. I am not worried about my issues, just trying to add to the conversation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app