What is Everyone's Preferred Baitcast Reels?

tman12

Being that I am on the hunt for the perfect reel, and that I love testing out different baitcast reels, what is everyone's favorite baitcast reel they own? Do you run one specific brand or do you have a bunch of different ones? I know a lot of guys like their Shimanos. Originally when I bought my curado e series I thought it'd be the reel I buy multiple of and stick with. However, I don't think that's going to be the case. Although it is an amazing frog reel for me with superior cast distance, the thumb buttons/bail always seem to give me problems on my shimano.

I also have a abu Garcia revo S gen3 which I have been using as back up for 3 years and has been a workhorse, but doesn't have the best cast distance. Intermittently I use a Lews Speed spool, and they are fantastic reels but I'm not a fan of the handle shape. I have recently bought a 13 fishing concept A which I haven't tested out yet due to weather, and a Diawa zillion tws which is smooth as butter, but gets scratched up so easily. I'm looking at the quantum smoke, and the revo STX. Eventually my goal is to convert to one brand and stick with it, as I run Fenwick rods on all my reels.

What do you fellow bass guys use?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I actually really like the Lews Carbon Fire speed spool, I think it's a great reel for the $80 or so price tag. Although I have two, and one runs a lot smoother than the other. But they have a good casting distance regardless. I actually like them better than the Lews tournament series reel I have, although that one is technically way higher quality but it sucks to cast with. The centrifugal brake system ensures pretty much zero backlash, but the casting distance is awful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So far I am super psyched with the Okuma Komodo.  I've only used it for 2 weeks but It is the best reel I've owned.  Silky smooth, great casting distance and easy to use.  I love the bait clicker too.  I'm using it for float fishing primarily but it's been great as a casting reel chucking spoons and stuff.

Thanks for the responses guys. Ended up returning my zillion to TW because no matter how much I use it and what way I use it, there seems to be resistance coming from inside the reel, almost like your dragging a weed. Because I had a little extra cash with the return of the reel, I decided to order a Lews Team Lite reel. 5.4 ounces!! Should be here Wednesday. This particular reel has the cork/EVA handles so it takes away the reason why I wasn't buying Lews, due to their old handles. Hoping to break it in this weekend.

Dylan, I learned on my revo, and out of all the reals I own it's by far the most versatile. The main thing to look for if you want one to use for everything is gear ratio. 6.4:1 is the traditional good to go for most every lure baitcast gear ratio. That's what I'd recommend.

Dylan, I learned on my revo, and out of all the reals I own it's by far the most versatile. The main thing to look for if you want one to use for everything is gear ratio. 6.4:1 is the traditional good to go for most every lure baitcast gear ratio. That's what I'd recommend.

Sweet thanks! Right now I've got a cheap daiwa that I bought just simply to learn with... I was thinking review would be my next purchase... plus it would match my rod haha

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Only thing I didn't like was the grips. They are terrible. Easy fix though, buy $5 reel grips and it's suddenly amazing. I really only use mine now as it's gotten older for Texas rigs and such which it really isn't made for, so I don't get the best distance. But for what you wanna throw it should do the trick.

I picked up a Lew's Team Pro and Team Lite at the beginning of this past season. Great reels. Smooth and cast a mile. I think you'll be happy with your Team Lite.

Before Lew's I used Diawa and then BP Carbon Lites. I'll be sticking with Lew's going forward. They seem to have more consistent performance.

Sounds like you will buy lews. I have no issues whatsoever with with my Garcia. Anything under 3/8 for me is finesse, which I use my open face spinner on a medium action. I prefer it that way. I get good distance on my Garcia. Are you freespooling or close to it ? I'm throwing straight 12 lb mono on main line. Could it be the line you have spooled ? Makes a big difference. Then again maybe its preference, different personal style of fishing, but I guess money can buy higher grade too. My dad has a quantum which I have used. I still like mine. Hope that helps more than it confuses...lol

So I've decided what I'm going to get... I'm going to get a revo sx for my crankbait rod (is going to be a favorite rods defender) and a Lew's for my top water rod (7 ft mh veritas gen 2)

check out the Quantum Code, and Smoke series Dylan. You can try ours out if you want to.

Moonfish, I have 12lb flouro on it. And ya, I have free spooled and have messed around with a lot of break settings. I got the Lews in the mail yesterday, and boy is it light. It's like a feather when you put it on a rod. I'm hoping to take a few casts with it from shore today and play around with it if the snow doesn't keep me inside

Let me know about that lews. Tax time I'm buying something. I prefer a versatile combo that throws everything well vs matching technique to a specific rod/reel combo.

The only reason I am is because I hate tying braid so I'd rather have a rod with each set up

Lets hope they come out with some even cooler stuff with some more money behind them. Of course, this most likely means they will be sold to someone bigger in a few years.

"Peak Rock Capital said it purchased Do Outdoors Inc., which does business as Lew’s Fishing, a supplier of branded fishing reels, rods and accessories. ... The firm said it plans to invest in product innovation along with strategic add-on acquisitions as a part of its investment."