44's available Sutton Spoons

It seems rather humorous to me after using nearly all of them in every weight and type all these years that people treat the 44's as if they are "magical" :lol:  

The 22, 31, and 38's work just as well....the secret to them seems to be the lightness of the spoon coupled with the real silver finish which shows up for greater distances under water than chrome or nickel etc. My favorite for rainbows is the tiny #8.

It seems rather humorous to me after using nearly all of them in every weight and type all these years that people treat the 44's as if they are "magical" :lol:  

The 22, 31, and 38's work just as well....the secret to them seems to be the lightness of the spoon coupled with the real silver finish which shows up for greater distances under water than chrome or nickel etc. My favorite for rainbows is the tiny #8.

Just think of all the silver you have laying on the bottom of your favorite lake. Now 40 years later you can replenish your lost silver! I wonder if they're only going to bring the 44 spoon back. When Nautitroller came down to my house to pick up a tree stand he gave me some Sutton's I've never saw before, I was greatful for his bag of tricks, I wasn't expecting!!

:lol: :lol:  Pap - Yeah Mike but I don't think it would be worth diving for the others...they were in exactly 500 ft of water :lol:

OOHH MYY, yea thats out of the question, 500ft down, forget about it!! Figures though, the deepest part of the lake. Well I guess it's off to the Sutton Store. LOL

Stopped in to the shop this AM and picked up the maximum allowed per customer.  6 spoons - 2 hammered, 2 silver\silver and 2 sliver\bronze.

6 spoons @ $33.00 plus tax, so out the door $35.48. Individually wrapped in tissue paper and placed in a small paper bag for the ride home.

Chatted for a few minutes, they said yesterday was a bit hectic, with lots of folks walking in and phone orders happening.  They did say that they only have 1 phone line and it also runs the credit card machine, so if calling in an order, don't get frustrated if you get a busy signal.  Also, they will ship, didn't ask the cost, but my guess is it would be very reasonable.

Didn't say who was doing the plating, just said it was being done locally - Overall the plating seems to be high quality, and highly reflective. All spoons with  soldered rings and treble hooks (not sure if singles hooks are an option). 

I'll try to post picks of the spoons later if I get a chance.

For those of you able to make the drive, I would highly suggest it; the character and ambiance of the store is the same today as it was 30 years ago when I was a teenager.

Edited by JJBat150

JJ Bat - Thanks for the info. I just returned from there  with a few 44's and the plating  looks real good as well as the polishing. I've gone there since the 60's (it opened in 1947) and it looks the same as it did then as well. The prices on the 44's were $5.50 and $5.75 depending on which and they have the different weight spoons as well as a bunch of other spoon sizes. I previously lost my silver/copper ones iin the past so I replaced a couple :) .

Edited by Sk8man

JJ Bat - Thanks for the info. I just returned from there with a few 44's and the plating looks real good as well as the polishing. I've gone there since the 60's (it opened in 1947) and it looks the same as it did then as well. The prices on the 44's were $5.50 and $5.75 depending on which and they have the different weight spoons as well as a bunch of other spoon sizes. I previously lost my silver/copper ones iin the past so I replaced a couple :) .

Did he have any 22s?

I didn't actually see them but I assume so as they are in a number of non-transparent boxes behind the counter on a shelf and the lady  got the 44's I asked for out of them. I'd give a call and ask (585) 374-2628 before traveling there.

• 1 year later...

I'm the one who suggested a No. 44 Sutton behind a 3/0 Dodger and connected to a Flyrod loaded with mono. instead of flyline for rainbow trout trolling.

Cheers, DocWet

• Like 1