seneca river 7-14-08

A couple years ago or so ESPN outdoors put out a GREAT article on the Senceca River. Talked about FANTASTIC fishing for Pike, Walleye, and Crappie. It piqued my interest but all reports I've seen from that area on this board have been reports of frustration and little results. If people are having luck there, I don't blame them for being tight lipped. The State Ditch was mentioned as a particularly hot Walleye spot though.

I read that article too. So I tried the river to Jacks reef and the lake extensively on opening day for pike/tigers. limited action- picked up one 30inch Northern in the lake near the river, but other than that we turned our attention to the shallows for some great bass action. I have heard similar conflicting stories too. I think it has to do with the migratory abilites of these rivers to help move the fish around alot. They could be in the river, the lake or even back to cayuga. not like some of the creek fed lakes that basically hold the fish captive to that body of water. I heard once that most/all of the tigers released into Cross move out through the river and seldom do any stay put makes locating them more difficult. I wonder why that would be any different than, say oneida lake/river. relative size of the lake mabye?

heres the link to the ESPN story and hotspot map

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fish ... enecaRiver

mosquito point is in port byron.as for cross lake i spent over 100hrs the previous 2 yrs trin to figure out the eyes,no luck.ive caught the eyes in the state ditch from may till the end of june then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.i know that the nite bite happens at mays point and mosquito point,im just to boneheaded to not stop trin durin the day.as for tigers ive never caught any monsters out of cross lake but the people i used to work with at bps swear the north end is where its at.i caught 1 last year @cross lake marine that was over 30in and that was it!!with gas prices the way they are im not goin all over the state anymore,fish close to home and figure the local fishery out.mabey if we get a few more members sharin info we could help each other out.offers??hints???and so long 4 now;john

That's funny Johnny....I'm too boneheaded to START fishing in the daytime and STOP fishing at night. I usually don't even launch until 9PM or later. Some mornings, I'm pulling out just as the first boats of the day are putting in. Screws up my sleep but man do I love fishing in the peaceful solitude of 3AM.

you bosco but my dog and kids think i should be up and at em by 7am most days and since im up at 5 am every work day trin to pull a 23 hr day is gettin tougher!!although friday i may try to hit owasco at dusk and fish till i cant my eyes open anymore[midnite if im lucky]