New York/Pa. Kinzua, Resevior

Xxx

I've been doing a lot of research on this resevior, and come to find out that both NY&Pa state record walleye come from this body of water, and possibly the next musky record for either state could emerge from these waters, but it seems to be either kept quite for a reason or simply over looked, which I doubt!! There was a thread started back in early August but never got a response, I sent a Pm to the original poster a few days ago with no return, maybe they aren't glued to this site as most of us are? Anyway I'm thinking of taking my smaller boat there, cause I found that the only year round open launch, has the curtesy docks removed, and like every other body of water it's very low. If anyone else has been there I'd like to hear your personal thoughts on the Kinzua, you could pm me or open forum, just looking for a little insight, as it's a 4.5hr ride for me, 5hrs and I'm it the Black River LOL thanks PaP

Edited by pap

If you are coming this far then you need to also investigate Chautauqua Lake which is another hour or so for you.  There has been a continual musky post on this site for Chautauqua Lake.

Edited by MCF

I fished Kinzua a ton this year.  Its the closest boat-body of water to me.  Smallies were great early on to mid summer...walleye never seemed to turn on (for me).  I've gotten a fair amount of smaller ones, along with a few legal ones.  There's a ton of small Northerns in there...and I've seen a monster a time or two, but in the reservoir I've only seen one Musky this year.

Id go to Chautauqua.  They've had a banner year for walleye and the musky fishing there is much better.

Thanks for the info guys!! I just got in and wow. Well what is said here and said by the reports from the resevior area and "streams" sure are differant? But I'll go with the LOU guys, thanks for showing so much interest this.

Ny record walleye came out of mystic lake thru the ice

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Before that fish was caught the record did come from Kinzua. It was just a couple oz.'s smaller than the current record. I think the old one is hanging in the South towns walleye club house or in the Erie county fair grounds conservation building.

Before that fish was caught the record did come from Kinzua. It was just a couple oz.'s smaller than the current record. I think the old one is hanging in the South towns walleye club house or in the Erie county fair grounds conservation building.

Does anyone know the "about time" the Kinzua gave up the 16#+ eye. I read an article about how the guy caught that eye and he knows there's a bigger one, he had it hooked and lost it. A while later he went back to the same place, "not mentioned" and I don't blame the guy, he hooked the record eye and he swears that the other eye he hooked into was not the same fish!! The other was bigger. Either it was significantly larger, or marked differantly or how else could he tell? Either way what a experience!!!

Before that fish was caught the record did come from Kinzua. It was just a couple oz.'s smaller than the current record. I think the old one is hanging in the South towns walleye club house or in the Erie county fair grounds conservation building.

That's cool I hear of big ones out of rushford yearly too. To bad the cost of launching there is so high.

Yea I guess in late September can launch for free.l until end of season

Do they still lower the water in Rushford?  I also hear Cuba has some nice walleyes in it.  Are you still using that climber stand with luck?

Do they still lower the water in Rushford? I also hear Cuba has some nice walleyes in it. Are you still using that climber stand with luck?

Yes cuba and rushford should both be lowering the water within a few weeks. I guess when that is happening the eye fishing from shore really gets good. Gonna try it this year.

And yea I modified it with rucksack frame to carry killed 2 outta it so far this year....your from Huntny too?

Talked to a guy who lives in the lake, Cuba, said this week waters going down. I have fished it 18 yrs, numbers up and down, same with rushford. Lot of shorts in both!!!!!!!!! Have seen a few good ines and two myself over the years. If I got out more I would be in the kinzua for sure(little kids) , , fish the river and the fall is best for the eye bite, sauger sticking now also. Good luck now and ice fishing! Jeff

Thanks very informative, to bad this year is so dry or I'd give the Kinzua a whirl yet this year. Don't know enough to even give it a shot, Thanks PAP