Carter Trophy Whitetails Honeoye NY

fishhook

Not for the working man, holy moly that's some big Yankee $$$$ to shoot a penned in deer. Clients look happy so I guess to some 10 grand to shoot 3 deer?? I'd be purchasing me some black angus fillet and some Tbones. LOL NO harm intended, so far it's a free country!!

Not for the working man, holy moly that's some big Yankee $$$$ to shoot a penned in deer. Clients look happy so I guess to some 10 grand to shoot 3 deer?? I'd be purchasing me some black angus fillet and some Tbones. LOL NO harm intended, so far it's a free country!!

It's certainly not for me or my style of hunting, but that being said I pay upwards of $15,000 in property taxes on all my properties, and maintenance can run anywhere from 2-3k per year. Big projects (cabin roof, deck, culvert work, new food plots) every 5-10 years can be 10-15k..........

Honestly, I don't care if it's $50. I couldn't feel proud of one of those deer and that's what matters. Some people like shooting fish in a barrel and pump their chests out, I don't.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Those people in pics maybe happy but it might be all they know. Like a trib snagger that one day catches a king on a wire diver. Epiphany. I would feel cheated out of the chess match if I hunted penned deer. I made it a point of emphasis to hunt state land. I love the challenge. No bait. No trail cams. Just what is behind the ears and instinct.

on one end of the spectrum is a public land hunt....... If you can kill a trophy buck on public land you have earned it, or have been extremely lucky..... in any event, it is the most respected trophy as most of them are earned...

someplace in the middle is the private land..... food plot.....lease the land.....limited access "type" hunt..... you're still paying for the animal in some ways..... and probably more than $50, as Momay4000 has mentioned

On the other extreme is the pay to hunt "fenced" type hunts...... If you've got the cash and want the horns..... it's the quickest way to your objective. 

SF, I'm guessing you're a public land man.......

No satisfaction in fenced hunting. My 20acres has deer and every year within a 1/2 mile there is 1 -2 large bucks taken. That is deer over 130 usually around 150. Iv been lucky enough to get 2. But missed many in the 15yrs iv owned it. I get just as excited when a neighbor get one. Its a game fie us too see who will bag a big one. Buy the way pulled cards and still all moving at night

Don't bother me if you buy your meat at the store or at carter whitetails. Not for me, mainly cause I dont have money like that. I'll take small does for free. I always wondered what somebody would say if I got all dressed up in camo with face paint and filmed a hunt where I walked out to the pen behind my uncles and shot his goat, proped it up on its feed trough for photos. Gave a speach about how I'm excided to have this "trophy". Lol. Bet people would freak out. But in the end those trophy photos do draw more people to the sport. Might have to make a video when my uncle puts that goat down, or maybe sight fishing videos at the pet store. They got some peacock bass there and I always wanted to catch one of them!

This is not my cup of tea but There are some paid hunts which are more sporting.... There is a 5000 acre ranch in northern ny where deer is not guaranteed. They allow u to hunt on the property if u wish without guides. Whitetails are pigs. Seems a bit more sporting to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by EsoxAC3

if your buying,  ill pull the trigger anywhere..

i purchased my own property and for what i pay for in taxes alone in NY just have a chance every year for a 110" -130"  buck.  i could pay the same amount with a ton less stress to go on ranch hunts and pay trophy fees/ lodging/taxidermy and it would still be cheaper annually.. i enjoy the chase and frustration apparently       

i had a buddy pay 6k for a 4 day guaranteed P&Y hunt on a "ranch"  he got his buck 1 hour after arriving at the ranch.

is that hunting? not in my opinion. . i would be embarrassed.. he cant wait to save $ enough to do it again.  to each his own. 

i see the hard work and perseverance the guys on this site put in to shoot a NY mature deer. that's something i can respect! 

To me HOLY DIVER, your comparing apples to peanuts, in your situation by purchasing land to "JUST" hunt on is a much better deal than spending the same for a family hunt just for the head mount or bragging rights, they all eat the same!!, you will or already own your property, so taxes and a few sighs to put up so your not liable for "xyz" who stumbles and breaks a leg on your land. You can do whatever you want to make this property your own invisable fence hunting grounds, but bucks and doe's can come and go as they please. You can make your land appealing to other bucks to roam on to. Yes this all takes $$$ but it's yours, a forever thing where just say 10 grand is only for that one moment. Usually buying property is the best investment you can do with your money, and years later in life if you decide to sell you could make all your money back and then some or pass it on to your son/daughter, or a retirement property. You can't go wrong with owning property. Just don't buy a 100 acres of swampland!! LOL.

Edited by pap

Good advise, but personally I'd love 100 acres of swampland!! Deer AND ducks! I don't duck hunt as much as I used to, but we are always keeping our eyes open for potential acquisitions...

• 5 months later...